News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Trying to set up my m0n0wall PC...what am I doing wrong?  (Read 3750 times)
« on: September 26, 2007, 05:54:27 »
georanma *

Alright i purchased an old dell box with a 933 mhz pentium 3, 256 mb of ram, and a 20 gig HD for 16 bucks. I then added a D-link nic card in it for a second nic card. I burned a copy of the livecd and stuck a floppy in the floppy drive and booted up the live cd. I assigned the network ports i believe with the modem running to the onboard nic and the other lan cable running from the PCI nic to my desktop. I restarted the system and then tried to ping the lan ip address but cant get anything. My desktop sees a connection but it says i have limited connectivity.  What am i doing wrong?

thanks for the help
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 06:08:29 by georanma »
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 17:11:17 »
matguy *

Is your lan cable a crossover?  If you're going straight from PC to PC you usually (unless one of the cards can auto-uplink) need a crossover cable or a hub/switch between.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 20:25:55 »
Havokki *

In addition to matguys's post: you might also try to change NIC's duplex settings on your personal computer if crossover cable doesn't work as it should.

-Havokki-

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 01:25:36 »
georanma *

i tired running my ethernet cable to my router and then to the desktop...but i cant get anything going. My thought is that maybe m0n0wall doesnt like the onboard nic card in this dell, cause i cant ping anything from the console setup
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 22:04:14 »
Havokki *

Has to be about lack of proper driver for Broadcom NIC chip. You should try latest beta version for better hardware support. Smiley

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 17:08:06 »
georanma *

i was looking online last night at the supported hardware...and i saw the onboard card....but everything i read showed support for a pci version of the card and i saw nothing about this onboard one i have. thinking maybe thats the problem

edit: tried the beta version and no good. still cant seem to ping a host....weird part is i cant from either of my nic cards..even though i know the dlink card is support.

really confused cause from reading this shouldnt be a big deal...all i can think is that my hardware is no good
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 17:37:14 by georanma »
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 17:51:43 »
markb ****

My desktop sees a connection but it says i have limited connectivity.

This is going to sound like a simple question and I don't wish to offend, just got to start with the basics and  rule them out before getting more technical.  You have set up DHCP on the LAN interface haven't you.  The limited connectivity is a sign that you haven't picked up an IP address.  Put a static IP address in the PC on the same subnet as your LAN interface. Then ping the LAN port on the router.  If you don't get anything, try plugging the ethernet cable into the other NIC on your router just to be sure that you didn't make a mistake when assigning the ports.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 05:37:21 »
georanma *

thanks for the suggestion. i think we are gonna get a new nic..hope thats the fix

Pages: [1]