News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Client Network Card Requires Reset After Some Time  (Read 3099 times)
« on: September 26, 2007, 07:46:47 »
tamoori *

Hi,
   I am using  MonoWall v1.231, and every thing works fine, except a strange problem. After using internet on client for some time (about 10-15 minutes), browser does not resolve any page request (e.g. www.yahoo.com or any other); an error saying "Server not found" appears instead.

But it starts working again when I right click the network card connection and click Repair option... I am using WindowsXP sp2. It is very annoying for me to Refresh/Repair the LAN connection after every 10-15 minutes. Please help me in this regard, thanks!

Alamgir
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 01:04:53 »
cmb *****

What's actually failing?

IP connectivity?  Can you ping m0n0wall's LAN IP?

DNS? If you ping google.com does it come back with an IP or say it can't resolve? 

Do you have other clients on the network? If so, do they have any problems?

"Repair" does several things, release/renew DHCP, clear ARP and DNS caches, and more. So "repair fixes it" doesn't tell much.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 06:32:48 »
tamoori *

>What's actually failing?

>IP connectivity?  Can you ping m0n0wall's LAN IP?
Yes I can ping monowall LAN IP

>DNS? If you ping google.com does it come back with an IP or say it can't resolve?
No, when problem occurs it does not resolve the host...  but in normal case (when internet is working on the client) it resolves the name appropriately.

>Do you have other clients on the network? If so, do they have any problems?
Yes I have other clients (running windows xp) and every one is facing this problem.

>"Repair" does several things, release/renew DHCP, clear ARP and DNS caches, and more. So "repair fixes it" doesn't tell much.
That is the problem, I could not find the exact solution (what option fixes this issue). But for sure repair fixes it temporarily (for some duration).

I think it is a dns related issue.

But interestingly skype always remain online, this problem is only related to browser (IE and firefox)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 03:01:07 »
cmb *****

What it sounds like is the DNS forwarder isn't functioning properly, but if hitting "repair" on your client PC's fixes it, that doesn't change anything on m0n0wall so that must not be the case.

Are you still seeing this? Find out anything more about it, or find a solution?

Pages: [1]