News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Will UPnP never be included on moral grounds?  (Read 11708 times)
« on: October 10, 2007, 03:28:09 »
JackTripper *

Could i ever expect to see UPnP support in monowall? Or can i expect to never see UPnP support in monowall?

It seems some people are morally opposed to machines on the network punching holes in "my" firewall.

i, on the other hand, find value in UPnP.

i installed pfSense for it's UPnP support, but i like the look of monowall better. Mono's traffic shaping is easier to setup and maintain, and it's visually more pleasing/polished/professional. (pfSense looks like it was hacked together from pieces)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 22:58:35 by JackTripper »
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 07:24:37 »
Plox *

The only way I would want UPnP is with the option to disable it.  Tongue

Kind of beats the point of having a firewall when a virus or other malware and open port in you firewall.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 22:15:57 »
tora *

i would only want UPnP support in monowall, if i have to option to complete remove the support for UPnP Tongue

p.s. sorry for the bad english, i from the Netherlands (Nederland) (.NL)
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:41:21 »
Max2950 ***

I would not mind having UPnP in mono. But i can live without it........ It just afffects my file transfers over MSN, and i do not transfer files that often.........
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 21:39:56 »
cybrsrfr *

I'm a big fan of m0n0wall as well as pfSense. I think both have their place in similar but distinct niches.
For now if you want UPnP support that can be enabled/disabled you may want pfSense. I suspect this may be an issue of m0n0wall maintaining a small footprint.

I personally wish there was a bit more sharing between features on pfSense and m0n0wall. There are features on both systems that would be compatible on the small footprint that m0n0wall requires. As well as pfsense could benefit from some things like the user/permissions management capability of m0n0wall.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 18:16:04 »
valnar *

I second the notion for UPnP in monowall.  I had to go to pfsense only for that reason.  Since UPnP is not a major disk or cache hog, there is no reason it can't be in something small like monowall.  Even Linksys routers include it.

-Robert
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 20:46:09 »
Manuel Kasper
Administrator

Since UPnP is not a major disk or cache hog, there is no reason it can't be in something small like monowall.

Aside from this maybe? : http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=1902
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 22:02:03 »
valnar *

Yes, but you could still include it.  It can be disabled after all.

It's bad that I have to go (down) to a Linksys box or (up?) to pfsense to get that feature.

Robert
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 10:22:20 »
markb ****

I would never want to use UPnP for the reasons that Manuel mentions.  The design brief for Monowall states

m0n0wall is a project aimed at creating a complete, embedded firewall software package that, when used together with an embedded PC, provides all the important features of commercial firewall boxes (including ease of use) at a fraction of the price (free software).

UPnP is a feature of many domestic firewalls firewalls. If you feel that it is an important feature, you could argue a case for it to be included but disabled by default.  However on the flip side, it is not a common feature on commercial firewalls.  Beside this, I think that you would struggle to find someone in the development team who wants to write the code for it.  This is after all an open source project and not run for commercial gain.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 14:59:05 »
valnar *

Well, the code is already somewhat written in pfsense, but no problem.  I'll stick with pfsense then.

Robert
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 12:23:04 »
markb ****

As the pfsense site mentions in it's introduction, it has different goals as Monowall, such and additional functionality.  Although I don't know it's history, I suspect that it grew out of similar issues as your own where additional functionality was required that didn't quite fit into the brief of Monowall.

Pages: [1]