News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Prioritizing packets when the WAN throughput is always changing  (Read 4259 times)
« on: October 10, 2007, 04:33:47 »
lhotp *

I have a question for anyone out there familiar with m0n0.

I have a situation where my router is travelling around the world. Every day it is in a different city. It is plugged in to a cable modem one day, a DSL the next, then a corporate LAN the next.

So each day the throughput of the upload and download is different. One day it's 1 Mbps up/.5 Mbps down...  the next day it's 512 up/256 down. The next 10 Mbps up/10 Mbps down.

Everything works great but it is very hard to manage the traffic shaping because my downstream speed and upstream speed is different than the day before. I am not in the position to be able to monitor each internet connection I have each day and change the settings on m0n0.

I am trying to prioritize my VoIP traffic through the router.... I am using a single VoIP device located on my LAN.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions you might have!

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:12:40 »
Max2950 ***

That is a strange situation. Maybe you could adjust your settings to the worst case. So that your VoIP gets enough bandwidth when using a 512k connection........
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:46:50 »
lhotp *

Yes... I have thought of that but it is such a shame when many times we have very fast connections. Sometimes 10 to 20 Mbps...

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 07:39:38 »
Max2950 ***

Yes... I have thought of that but it is such a shame when many times we have very fast connections. Sometimes 10 to 20 Mbps...

Oooops i forgot to mention that the only thing you'll have to do is to change the speed in your pipes.....

Pages: [1]