News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: SCSI  (Read 5341 times)
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:17:31 »
The -e^(i*pi) *

How do I install on my scsi drive, the drive worked with IPCop, but this firewall looks better, and I would rather use m0n0wall.
It is just an old 37GB 10krpm 68 pin scsi drive on an Adaptec PCI SCSI Adapter.

It is a COMPAQ Smart Array 431
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 02:55:10 by The -e^(i*pi) »
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 18:02:56 »
The -e^(i*pi) *

bump
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 15:45:46 »
MrDetermination *

Have you tried physdiskwrite from here: http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads.php ?

If you can see the drive in Windows maybe you can load to it that way.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 06:26:24 »
cmb *****

The same way you install to any other hard drive, physdiskwrite or dd. Though using a SCSI disk is a waste of power and an unnecessary noise maker. m0n0wall runs from RAM after boot, so the only performance benefit might be a very negligible decrease in boot time. You'd probably be better served getting an IDE to CF adapter and running off a CF card.

You mention first it's running on a PCI SCSI adapter, and then that it's a Compaq Smart Array controller. If it's a Smart Array or any RAID controller, m0n0wall doesn't have drivers for RAID controllers so you won't be able to use that. If it's a plain PCI SCSI adapter, that should work.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 21:54:15 »
The -e^(i*pi) *

This is an old computer, and needs a scsi partition to use the bios... completely genius whoever thought that one up...

I cannot get into the bios, so it will only boot from cd, or scsi hard drive.
I don't like floppies, because they loose their data after a few years.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 20:34:28 »
cmb *****

didn't think of this earlier, but if it is a Smart Array controller, there's usually also a normal SCSI controller on the motherboard of Compaq servers where you can take out the RAID card and plug directly into the normal onboard SCSI controller which should work fine (they're usually common Adaptec cards, IIRC).

Pages: [1]