News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Installing m0n0wall on Neostation fitted with a DiskOnChip? DOC  (Read 2369 times)
« on: March 26, 2007, 13:23:01 »
yattaman *

Hello,

I'm attempting to get m0n0wall running on a Neostation thinclient fitted with an 8MB M-Systems DiskOnChip.

I'm having great difficulty as the m0n0wall images provided on the m0n0wall website do not contain the `fla` driver in the BSD kernel.

I've been reading through the m0n0wall mailing list and email a few people one of which was find enough to provide me with an image with the necessary driver but it was a 16MB image produced with Norton Ghost which is too big for my 8MB DiskOnChip.

I'm a completely new to BSD (and all other UNIX based OS's).

I managed to install the v1.2 m0n0wall image to the DOC, but due to the lack of the M-Systems "fla" DiskOnChip driver in the m0n0wall image I get the following error when attempting to boot the system;

Can't find '/kernel'
/
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel]...
Can't load 'kernel'
Can't load 'kernel.old'

Does anyone have a m0n0wall image with DiskOnChip support that they could send my way? If not I'll give building my own image a try, but I think that would will a little out of my league at the moment.

Thank in advance,
Steven C.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 14:32:36 »
bitonw **

does that neostation has an ide connector on the board? if so you could try to install a ide/cf controller and install a cf with m0n0wall on it... i saw some one on the us ebay (search on m0n0wall) selling those boxes with m0n0wall installed. he has pctures of it.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 19:18:34 »
Ventolin *

yeah, you're kinda screwed if you're looking for obscure hardware support.

as mentioned on the monowall manual, it's meant for embedded pc solutions, it just so happens to thrive in higher-powered x86 machines.  IDE/CF (almost identical), USB Flash, and CD-ISO are the supported boot methods to the best of my knowledge.  I'm willing to bet that your computer has a USB port, so I'd suggest you give that route a shot.  However, if you're just going to make that box into a deticated monowall, might as well take the easy way out and burn yourself a CD-ISO of the latest version.

If you ABSOLUTELY have to use your DOC, then I'd start looking for a IDE/CF adapter.

Good luck.

Pages: [1]