News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: mb usage per client  (Read 3561 times)
« on: November 17, 2007, 12:20:30 »
fox *

is there a way that a Mb limit can be set on certain users to either disconnect them or slow them down for that session
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 11:37:09 »
detectiveinspekta *

I dont think its supported yet mainly being that it would take up more memory.

I am trying to collect usage of each IP address on the LAN. I have limited download cap on my connection so I need a way of telling whos downloading what. I think I realise that doing it in monowall is a tricky task, luckly I have a few computers lying around.

My current network configuration:
Internet -> modem -> Monowall WAN (static IP) -> Monowall -> Monowall LAN (DHCP) -> switch -> 4 users

I am using the static IP configuration for the WAN side because my isp only supports PPPoA and my modem does not support half-bridge mode.

Now were in my network do I need a PC to monitor each users data usage? Does it depend on whos doing NAT. I think possiably my modem is because when ever I disable NAT internet connection is lost on the client PCs.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 20:31:02 »
SlickNetAaron *

I think what you should look into is RADIUS.  It can authenticate your users, but it also does accounting.  Basically, it keeps track of how much each user is using.

An easy solution is to use the captive portal with WirelessOrbit.  They charge $20 to set you up, and other than that it's free.  WO is setup to be a HotSpot billing system, but you can easily create free accounts.  WO will allow u to create several accounts with usernames & passwords (or can use MAC addresses as well).

I set it up on my pfSense box, it's fairly easy, but there are a couple gotchas.

Aaron

Pages: [1]