News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: SIP Proxy  (Read 2460 times)
« on: December 02, 2007, 00:43:57 »
mgraves *

I now have 1.3b5 running well on my Net4801. I have many VOIP devices on my lan using a number of external providers. When & why would I use the SIP proxy? What advantages does it offer?

Thanks,
Michael
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 16:16:27 »
mwiget *

Michael,

If everything works fine for you as is, leave it. The built-in SIP proxy daemons helps for devices having trouble behind NAT. These days this is hardly the case, with the exception of at least one HD Video endpoint when using SIP.

Another example where the SIP proxy can make sense is for endpoints that don't refresh the SIP registration quick enough before the dynamic NAT entry times out. Up-to-date SIP clients also don't have a problem with that.

For kicks you might want to test the SIP proxy in m0n0wall by changing your SIP clients configuration by simply keeping the registrar host and remove any STUN or SIP Proxy/outgoing proxy configurations. Then enable SIP proxy on m0n0wall. You should now see your phones registering as usual but when you look on m0n0wall under Diagnostics -> SIP proxy you will see all registered phones. From now on, all audio communication is also handled by m0n0wall, which can increase latency.

Hence once more, if it works for you without the help of m0n0wall, leave it as is.

Pages: [1]