News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Noob question: What are the names of my LAN interfaces?  (Read 2630 times)
« on: December 02, 2007, 01:32:44 »
ccg *

Hi,

I am trying to set up m0n0wall on an old Dell.  I put another nic card in it (which is recognized by windows98) but m0n0wall doesn't seem to detect them and I don't know what they are called to put the names in manually.

When I boot the cdrom and choose option "1) Interfaces: assign network ports" it tells me:

Code:
Valid Interface are:

x10     00:50:04:d3:00:19     (up)
x11     00:50:da:cd:19:29     (up)

So I think it's seeing the cards, but then after I hit "n" about installing the VLANs, autodetect tells me:

Code:
no link-up detected

Since the autodetect doesn't seem to be working, I thought I'd try specifying the names of the interfaces, but I'm not sure how m0n0wall refers to network interfaces.  I've tried sis0, sis1 (per the quickstart guide) eth0, eth1, x10, x11, ethernet0, ethernet1, ether0, ether1 and a few others, but m0n0wall always comes back with:

Code:
invalid interface 'eth0'

What are the names of my interfaces supposed to be?  I get the feeling that the quickstart guide for PC was actually just copied over from the WRAP platform quickstart guide without modifications for the PC, so the sis0 name probably isn't correct, but I'm not sure what they are supposed to be called on the PC. 

Thanks for any help you can give me

edit: both network cards are 3com etherlinks (3c905C-TX) and I am using the image from cdrom-1.231.iso that I downloaded yesterday.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 01:47:19 by ccg »
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 04:40:08 »
ccg *

I really thought this would be an easy question.  I tried to include all the steps I had taken to be as descriptive as possible, but maybe it was too long to read.

Nobody can tell me what the names of the ethernet cards are supposed to be on a PC?  Is it different for every card or something? 

Is this question too simple to get an answer here? should I try a different forum?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 10:43:57 »
Havokki *

Upper nic etherlink "xl0" is wan and "xl1" below is lan. Those names should be typed when both nics are plugged in or disconnected, you decide. Don't worry about 'no link-up detected'-message. Both name prefixes for etherlinks are xl(0,1,2,3,4 etc..).

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 07:16:43 »
ccg *

Thanks a lot! That worked perfectly.

It seems like this kind of information should be in the Generic PC Platform Quick Start Guide, but the PC guide has WRAP platform information.  It looks to me like the PC guide might have been accidently overwritten by the WRAP Platform Quick Start Guide somewhere along the line.  Or has it always been that way?

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 17:02:50 »
Havokki *

No problems. Smiley

According to few parts in pc quickstart quide, there were some lines taken from wrap quick install quide such as assigning network interfaces and few additional information lines. That can be quite confusing for beginners.

Pages: [1]