News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Phsydisk error message?  (Read 7177 times)
« on: December 22, 2007, 07:11:11 »
Laglure *

Hello,

When I am using Physdiskwrite to burn an image onto a CF card attached to a USB card reader, i get an error message. The message says there was an error writing after a certain number of bits. It says a "wrotewritten error" or something. I am hoping this is something small I am missing to do when running in in Vista but if not I can supply more detailed account of the error msg. Thanks!

Laglure
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 14:11:29 »
phillip1983 **

hi , please can you post a screen shot or something for us to see.

Cheers
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 21:35:35 »
Laglure *

Thanks for the help. Here is a screen shot. I've received a similar error after more bytes but I was unable to reproduce it. It had the same error code of 8192 however. Hopefully this screen shot will be clear enough to see.

* Monowall error.jpg (85.19 KB, 723x763 - viewed 467 times.)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 22:22:51 »
phillip1983 **

humm, not to sure there ... have you tried with differance USB ports, differnat CF card etc .... im personally not sure about the error and if it happend to me i would do some trouble shooting and change the card, the USB reader etc ... and see what happens

can anyone else help here ?

Many THanks
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 22:30:41 »
headroom *

maybe WRITE PROTECT-ed Huh / i think /
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 22:31:25 »
Laglure *

I would normally agree with you however, this is the second card I've used and the second computer I've used which has produced the same results. In each case I am using Vista and running cmd as administrator. The issue doesn't appear to be hardware related but rather something strange either with vista or with how I am doing the write process somehow. Thanks for any help.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 22:32:06 »
Laglure *

Write protected huh? Never thought of that. I did format the card before though, I am not sure how write protection is implemented.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 22:40:56 »
phillip1983 **

write protect??? did not think of that my self tho i have a Wyse winterm XP serise that i boot with a CF card with m0n0wall and im sure that you can not write protect the card not 100% sure maybe 90% sure as i can not find, the other 4 cards that i have on my desk ........ think my cat ate them lol .......
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 22:56:55 »
phillip1983 **

have you tried putting it in a windows XP pc with the same card reader and card and seeing if it happens ?

this will rule out the card and reader and could them only be the PC hard ware in some strange way or windows vista ......

only way to know for sure then is to put windows xp on the pc that had vista on and see if it happens ... i know this is not ideal but will tell you if its vista or the pc hardware

and if its vista then we can see why vista dont like writing with Phsydisk... well i say we i mean Manuel ... lol .... sozz.....
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 00:06:34 »
Laglure *

Sadly that isn't possible. I've tried multiple card readers and cards and one two different systems but both ran Vista. I don't have an XP install disk available nor the time to install it just to test this. Is there another way to write to a CF in Windows?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 00:20:38 »
secure.boy *

use linux distro - live cd
and run dd

http://m0n0.ch/wall/installation_embedded.php
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 00:21:42 »
phillip1983 **

hi

if you download the DSL (DamSmallLinux) distro from the net you can write the image from there.

Download DSL from http://damnsmalllinux.org/

download the ISO of DSL burn to CD

boot the computer with the DSL CD

and im not 100% about this command, maybe some one else can help me

run

Code:
dd if=<M0n0wall image> of=/dev/hdc bs=1k

i think the above will do it .. but like i said im not 100% sure you will have to also change the HDC to the USB port

hope this helps and i hope that someone else who know more about linux can step in here ....

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 16:06:00 »
mammoth *

From http://m0n0.ch/wall/physdiskwrite.php

"Note to Windows Vista users: physdiskwrite works with Vista, but you must make sure to run it as administrator (simply having admin rights isn't enough), or it won't find any disks. One way to do this is to create a shortcut to cmd.exe, then right-click it and select "run as administrator". Then you can launch physdiskwrite from the command prompt window that appears, and it should work fine."

So, my question to you is, are you running as administrator, not just a user with admin rights, but as administrator?

Pages: [1]