News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Issue with net4521, min-PCI wireless, and m0n0wall  (Read 1958 times)
« on: January 01, 2008, 22:57:39 »
DeafSysEng *

I currently have a Soekris net4521 and unable to get Wistron NeWeb WLAN a+b+g model CB9 to work with m0n0wall Version: 1.232, Release date: 12/16/2007.  I read some posting that recommend to use the Beta version 1.3b.  Using Compact Flash for m0n0wall.  The network are working, I am not able to get the wireless adapter to be detected.  * Reviewing the post BIOS, I notice that the Wireless is detected, during the Linux boot up, it does not have the drivers. *

I was unsuccessfully to get the beta to work on the Soekris 4521.  After the post startup, the image file may be corrupted.  Tried beta release 7,6, & 5.  Not sure if it a bad compression or file.  I did a few more test with the beta version, right after it load the post BIOS, here a few lines it shows before corrupted files appears:

"FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(root@mb62.neon1.net, Sat Dec  9 17:20:01 CET 2006)
/kernel"

Right after the kernel loading, it attempts to load additional files, which had been corrupted.  I used most of the beta version 1,2,5,6,&7.

Any suggestion for me to try to either get the current release version 1.232 or the Beta 1.3b7 to work on the CF?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 03:59:12 by DeafSysEng »
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:25:58 »
DeafSysEng *

Pretty much I found the solutions on my own instead of this forum.  On M0N0.ch's website there is a sections  Miscellaneous / Notes/Bugs/Caveats.  I was a little disappointed that no one had mention to check the "notes".  In there has some details regarding to the following:

Recommended BIOS settings for the net45xx

ConSpeed = 9600
ConLock = Enabled
BIOSentry = Disabled
PCIROMS = Disabled
PXEBoot = Disabled
FLASH = Primary
BootDelay = 2
BootPartition = Disabled
ShowPCI = Enabled

The default setting on Soekris Engineering net4521 were the following:
ConSpeed = 19200
ConLock = Enabled
ConMute = Disabled
BIOSentry = Enabled
PCIROMS = Enabled
PXEBoot = Enabled
FLASH = Primary
BootDelay = 5
FastBoot = Disabled
BootPartition = Disabled
BootDrive = 80 81 F0 FF
ShowPCI = Enabled
Reset = Hard

The following changes I had made, and tested using m0n0wall Beta version 1.3b9:
ConSpeed = 9600
ConLock = Enabled
ConMute = Disabled
BIOSentry = Disabled
PCIROMS = Disabled
PXEBoot = Disabled
FLASH = Primary
BootDelay = 5
FastBoot = Disabled
BootPartition = Disabled
BootDrive = 80 81 F0 FF
ShowPCI = Enabled
Reset = Hard

I will be testing the settings one by one later to determine the cause of the conflicts.  I also confirmed that the Wistron NeWeb WLAN a+b+g model CB9 was detected.

I will post some updated regarding to the net4521, wireless, and m0n0wall beta.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 01:36:12 »
creekbuster *

Did you finally get the CB9 to work with the Beta release. I have one on order to upgrade my net4521 now. Thanks

Pages: [1]