News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Multiple interfaces shaping  (Read 4464 times)
« on: January 05, 2008, 00:30:08 »
test113 *

Hi

Does m0n0wall support shaping both LAN and WLAN traffic, so I could give WLAN traffic lower priority, so that wifi clients wouldn't disturb online gaming?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 04:34:10 »
dusan *

There are two way to priotize game traffic over WLAN traffic:

a) Make rules for game traffic.

b) Make rules for WLAN traffic.

And there are two way to separate game traffic, which give you better control over the priotization:

c) On the WAN interface, create a separate pipe named "Games out" and make rules directing all game outgoing traffic to the pipe.

d) On the WAN interface, create a separate pipe named "WLAN out" and make rules directing outgoing traffic from the WLAN to the pipe.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 19:23:24 »
test113 *

Unbelivable...somebody answered.
Thank you.

Can I test it without formatting hdd (my current IPCop setup)? Is cdrom-1.232.iso image ment for running m0n0wall from CD and settings should be saved on USB stick?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 00:06:31 »
minsik *

in a word, Yes.

iso is cd bootable so you can run from the cd. default is floppy storage of configuration or usb stick (personally i have not got usb storage to work yet but that may be my hardware)

burn iso to cd, boot CD, have floppy in (but not bootable) and configure.
all system loads to memory once booted and only changes once you make them are saved to the storing device of usb or floppy.

Or get a compact flash card to ide adapter and use that! Its like a mini hdd on a lash card, (I have ordered one to use an old 32meg camera compact flash card with)

good luck.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 14:43:27 »
test113 *

Thx.

Gonna try it.

===

Tried it:
Got same far as last time

Maybe this time the problem was that my floppy drive don't work and for USB stick I used mp3-player. Although USB MASS STORAGE got detected, but later I checked mp3-player from windows and no files were saved on it. So maybe it is hard to get it working from USB.
Next time gonna try with new floppy drive.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 17:54:44 by test113 »
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 14:28:07 »
test113 *

With floppy it works almost like it has to. Still configuring traffic shaper, but at the moment biggest problem is that when I reboot the router "dial-on-demond" don't bring PPPOE connection up.

I have "Enable Dial-On-Demand mode" ticked and timeout 3600.

Only when I press "Connect" in Diagnostics - Interfaces I get it working.

Is it a problem on 1.3b or something else?

Pages: [1]