News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: DHCP Relay problem  (Read 1735 times)
« on: January 05, 2008, 11:17:18 »
dajomas *

Hello,

I am experiencing problems with DHCP relay. First I'll give an idea of what my network looks like:

I have a m0n0wall system with 3 NICs.

The first NIC is the red zone and attached to my ISP.

The second NIC is the orange or DMZ. In this zone, I have some servers including a PDC (W2K3 Server)
The PDC is DHCP server and DNS server. The IP range of the DMZ is 192.168.1.x/24 (IP address of the PDC is 192.168.1.110)

The third NIC is the green zone. There are Windows and Linux workstations in this zone. Most are DHCP clients.

When I ran m0n0wall 1.231 the DHCP relay feature was working fine. m0n0wall was running on a P2 system from a HD. Then the P2 decided to stop working and I build a new system as cheap and as simple as possible. I didn't want to put in a HD and decided that for ease of upgrading, running from a CD was going to be the least hassle. (I tried IDE/CF but the adapter was DOA and I didn't bother to get a new one (yet)) Because of this I needed to be able to store the configuration on a memory stick and 1.231 couldn't do that so I decided to go for version 1.3

Unfortunately, for some reason, DHCP relay didn't work when the system was ready.

I only enabled DHCP relay for the LAN interface but the log mentioned that it was listening and sending on both the DMZ and GREEN interfaces. However, when I refresh the IP address on a machine in the GREEN zone, it doesn't get an IP address from the DHCP server.

Now, when I disable DHCP relay and enable the DHCP server on the m0n0wall system, I do get an IP address.
When I connect to the DMZ, and I request a DHCP Address, I get one as expected.

I have configured the DHCP relay to append circuit ID and agent ID so the DHCP server knows which pool to take the address from. There are 2 Scopes configured in the DHCP server on the PDC and both are active.

Is there anyone who can help me out to get the DHCP relay working again?

Thanx

Greetinx
Johan

Pages: [1]