News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Billing capabilities  (Read 2867 times)
« on: February 12, 2008, 22:13:11 »
Guybrush *

hi there,

i´m not shure if this was discussed in the past, but billing cap. for the captive portal would be very very (and i mean very) great. in best case, a webinterface for a non-techi clerk in a restaurant/hotel... could be integrated (add user, insert user details, generate tickets, ticket/billing summary....)

this would be in my opinion the absolute killer-feature.

i´ve never seen this in opensource products, it would boost mono´s place in publich!

would love to hear some thoughts from you.

br
guybrush
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 02:56:23 »
exigent *

In the united states I cant think of one place I would expect to pay money for wifi access.  Perhaps things are different were you live but here all wifi hotspots are free.  Heck... even at my home there are at least 3 wireless networks within range 2 of which are not secured and the third is only WEP.  In fact the only time Ive ever been asked to pay for access was at the airport, and it was ridiculously expensive.

Imo... not worth the time.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 03:01:34 »
ChainSaw

open source "FREE" software designed to charge people.  go figure.

CS...
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 11:33:11 »
Guybrush *

@exigent:

i´m living in austria, where no free hotspots are available. in generell, i´m shure the situation is the same in most of the european countries. but nice to hear, that in the us things are different - maybe it swaps over to europe some time (hopefully).

@cs:
why not using opensource software to charge people???
oss powers >80% of all webservers, i have to pay for my webspace. oss powers firewalls, which i have to pay for. oss powers servers, which i have to pay for. so why not use oss to charge people for internet access (in a country, where free hotspots are a fairy tale)? even the oss monowall and its fork pfsense are sold with  hardware together - guess what? the people have to pay for it. got it?

br
johannes
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 14:20:00 »
markb ****

open source "FREE" software designed to charge people.  go figure.

CS...

In an Ideal world absolutely. However as Guybrush makes the point, he is not looking at charging for monowall rather for providing a service.  The fact that it is based on OS Software is relevant in keeping charging costs down, but it isn't running on free hardware or free electric. 

Pages: [1]