News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: login/password for a set time?  (Read 2816 times)
« on: March 02, 2008, 02:11:34 »
coca *

The issue is people abusing unmetered access to the Wi-Fi service at coffeshop. I think the login/password for a set time is a perfect setup. If the person wants more time, they can purchase another drink and get additional time.

Is this possible to do with m0n0wall? time-limited user accounts?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 02:17:05 by coca »
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 18:44:10 »
Manuel Kasper
Administrator

Looks like you should give the voucher system in the recent 1.3b versions a try.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:25:38 »
Hex *

The issue is people abusing unmetered access to the Wi-Fi service at coffeshop. I think the login/password for a set time is a perfect setup. If the person wants more time, they can purchase another drink and get additional time.

Is this possible to do with m0n0wall? time-limited user accounts?

I know this is a late reply, but I had the same problem as you did. People living near the cafe used to leech off the free Wi-Fi connection, which was intended for paying customers. I've read about the new voucher system in the beta version of m0n0wall and decided to give it a try, since I didn't want to set up a dedicated radius server.

I'm using an old 333mhz PC with about ~200RAM (m0n0wall only uses about 20%), and am saving the configuration to a floppy (removed the HDD to keep power consumption, noise and heat low). I've set up a captive portal with user access (unlimited access for friends and family) and then also enabled vouchers (for cafe customers). I've generated about 250 vouchers for my clients (60 minute access), printed them out and cut them into small pieces of paper, which the waitresses hand out to paying customers.

I've also enabled traffic shaping using the Trafic Shaper wizard - "Set P2P traffic to lowest priority" and "Share bandwidth evenly on LAN". Then I used Dreamweaver to quickly create a captive portal page with inputs for vouchers and user names and passwords. I've also added an ad, informing everyone about the current promotions at the cafe.

I enjoyed the fact that on the next day a couple of the leeching neighbors came by and asked "What happened with your internet connection?" Oh, it's automatically filtering all ***holes now! Cheesy

After using this setup for about a week now, I can say that it works like a charm. If you have any additional questions on my setup, do ask, I'll be more than happy to help!

Pages: [1]