News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Soekris vpn1411 VPN accelerator  (Read 6009 times)
« on: March 30, 2007, 20:39:10 »
dbcookcan *

I saw some performance testing with this unit in a Soekris 48xx and a Wrap but the data was very old now and insinuated some not-ready-for-prime-time driver issues.

I recall that in a number of scenarios using the vpn1411 board actually made performance worse.

Has anything changed? Is this something that may improve with movement up to 6.x kernels?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 20:41:59 »
cmb *****

The consensus on the Soekris list from several recent threads are that these things are worthless in all the BSD's and Linux. They either cause the boards to freeze up, or the performance doesn't improve much and in many cases decreases. Nobody popped up and disagreed.

The testing you're referring to that Manuel did a while back showed that they did improve performance. I pulled those out of the FAQ because they showed the 4801 being slower than the WRAP, which was the result of a driver bug fixed like 3 years ago. The numbers for everything but the 4801 were accurate and showed some good gains with the crypto cards. But it appears the people on the Soekris list recommend staying away from them.

YMMV... I have one sitting in a drawer because I have no need for it. One of these days I'll get around to doing some updated testing.

Pages: [1]