News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: MTU Size on WAN?  (Read 5054 times)
« on: March 05, 2008, 20:39:57 »
barcode *

is it possible to change the MTU Size on the WAN interface? i saw no field where we could adjust this..

using:  1.3b10
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 22:12:44 »
fredg

You probably don't want to do this and probably don't need to do it.

It's the TCP/IP stack on the client machine that sends the maxMTU information out to the sites you are connecting to. It is on these machines where it needs to be set correctly.

The default standard MTU for ethernet is 1500. If that's the correct value, you don't need to specify it at all anywhere. It's assumed that value by every TCP/IP stack used with ethernet adapters unless overwritten.

If your ISP uses PPPoE, then 1500 is 8 bytes too large (at least 8 bytes). Your ethernet adapters on client machines should be set to MTU 1492. It doesn't matter that the m0nowall's adapters remain at 1500. So long as the cleint sending the maxMTU size is sending the correct value, all is well.

If your ISP is PPPoA, then MTU 1500 is correct and you don not need to touch anything anywhere.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 07:17:17 »
barcode *

thanks for that good info! so m0n0 leaves the MTU untouched that i set on the NIC..  Cool
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 15:21:14 »
fredg

I think, but don't know for sure, that the answer is "it depends." (Don't you just love answers like this?)

And again, let me stress I am not sure, but if it's really necessary for m0n0wal to change the MTU on an interface, is might just do it for you.

Looking at my setup here on the special status page, interfaces section, I see this for the WAN interface (IP and gateway obscured but I think my IP is visible here on the forums):

ng0: flags=88d1<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,NOARP,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
   inet 74.233.xx.xx --> 74.233.xx.x netmask 0xffffffff

The MTU is set to 1492, which is proper for a PPPoE link. And I didn't do anything to make this happen.

Maybe you can look at that page on your setup and see what's going on?

The location for the page is below the root /status.php

Pages: [1]