News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: dial-on-demand bugs  (Read 4814 times)
« on: April 07, 2008, 19:06:50 »
maxe *

m0n0wall: wrap-1.3b10.img
Connection: PPPoE
dial-on-demand: configured in PPPoE configuration

1st bug: The link is NEVER brought down automatically after the idle timeout, NEVER!

2nd bug: The link is immediately reopened after disabling all(!) LAN firewall rules (so there CANNOT be any traffic on the WAN) and manually disconnecting the link.

System log excerpt (newest entries on top):
Apr 7 18:56:44    mpd: [pppoe] opening link "pppoe"...
Apr 7 18:56:41    mpd: [pppoe] Last link has gone and no noretry option, reopening in 3 seconds
Apr 7 18:56:38    mpd: [pppoe] LCP: state change Closed --> Initial

This is definitely a serious bug which already was reported several times!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 19:09:11 by maxe »
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 12:53:30 »
geierhoferr *

Hi!

I have the same problem with a PPTP connection.

m0n0wall: wrap-1.3b10.img
Connection: PPTP
dial-on-demand: active in PPTP configuration

Greetings
Robert
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 16:00:16 »
maxe *

Manuel, do you confirm these bugs?
Are you going to fix them? (Regardless whether you confirm them or not, because they ARE already confirmed.)
What will happen in this matter?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 20:04:02 »
Manuel Kasper
Administrator

Manuel, do you confirm these bugs?
Are you going to fix them? (Regardless whether you confirm them or not, because they ARE already confirmed.)
What will happen in this matter?

You make it sound as if you'd paid for m0n0wall, and that I'd somehow have an obligation to fix this alleged bug. Do you realize that demands and accusations like these sometimes make me want to abandon the project altogether?

I don't currently have the time to investigate this issue. Maybe you should give it a go? And don't just cop out by saying that you can't do that - anyone can learn something new and figure things out, perhaps with a little help from Google. It could be an option that m0n0wall sets wrongly in the MPD (http://mpd.sourceforge.net/) configuration that it generates... It could be a bug in MPD itself. Or even the FreeBSD kernel. Have fun!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 20:24:11 »
DanielSHaischt *

Undank ist der Welten Lohn - Go figure the meaning  Grin
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 19:24:15 »
maxe *

Do you realize that demands and accusations like these sometimes make me want to abandon the project altogether?
Ok, fine! Please do it! I'm looking forward to the open source project that will evolve out of that.
Tbh this kind of threatening is quite ridiculous.

You make it sound as if you'd paid for m0n0wall, and that I'd somehow have an obligation to fix this alleged bug.
Funny to read such nonsense. Nowhere in my post did I demand ANYTHING or did I accuse you (for what btw?)!
I asked you some really simple questions in a friendly enough manner, maybe you could answer them just normally as anyone else would do?
I think the most people here are actually glad that you answered at all and at least, which is not a common action of you here.
Hint, hint: Compare the posting dates!

I don't currently have the time to investigate this issue.
Ok, fine! I think everyone here can understand that, no need to feel frustrated.

Maybe you should give it a go? And don't just cop out by saying that you can't do that - anyone can learn something new and figure things out, perhaps with a little help from Google.
Ok, fine, I can see your point here. But in fact, the one accusing here is actually you, can you see it now?
Why not to "just cop out by saying that" I "can't do that"??
You are also just copping out here, by telling me "Maybe you should give it a go?" and also by your following statements.

Damn, I wasted way too much time with this!

Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 19:29:45 by maxe »
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 20:24:17 »
Manuel Kasper
Administrator

You know what - it's hopeless.

It's probably best to simply remove the dial-on-demand feature altogether - it's caused too much trouble already, and nobody appears to have enough interest in it to fix it. I pity those that still have to use it in 2008, but we can't have this sort of thing going on about something that only a handful of people seem to use.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 21:22:20 »
DanielSHaischt *

maxe,

IMO you didn't understand the rules of the game and thus let me take the chance to explain them:

a) this is an open source project where the community is responsible for fixing defects. It's not a single person which is responsible for fixing a particular defect

b) it's up to the community to fix a defect and to prioritise one defect over another

c) in theory the stakeholder, and I consider you being such a stakeholder, have no granted right to demand that a certain defect is getting fixed. Thus you need to provide at least some traces, logs etc. or even a patch that would help to fix a certain issue.

d) Don't demand support from people working on an open source project. If you are not satisfied with the quality of the support you are getting from the people behind of a particular open source project simply go away and use something different. It's all up to you to make a choice.

e) People behind open source project are usually giving their work force away on a pro bono basis. They are spending their personal time on a project and usually two third of their friends are calling them nuts for doing so cause they are going to work and after leaving work they are continuing working on their pet projects. Bottom line: people working on open source projects primarily put their focus on developing software and support including fixing minor defects is optional and probably there is no right to demand a certain fixing speed for a particular defect.

f) Der Ton macht die Musik - and IMHO your tone was not appropriate or at least there is a good chance to get you wrong.

Cheers
Daniel S. Haischt
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 16:50:54 »
TI *

Well, to be the devil advocate ...
the tone was certainly not clever, but everybody should be glad that a bug was discovered.
It's in the interest of everybody if many people discover many bugs, even though they cannot fix them themselves.

Pages: [1]