News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Newbie Bandwidth Limiter Question.  (Read 5002 times)
« on: April 12, 2008, 03:07:33 »
ken069 *

Newbie here, and not very savvy on command line stuff so keep that in mind if you try to answer my question. 

I’m a Windowz user and just recently got news that I’ll be getting a broadband wireless connection available to me some time in June.  FINALLY!

I’ve got a problem with one computer on my LAN though.  My Wife’s Dell will suck the complete bottom out of my dialup connection now and when the new connection comes in I don’t want that happening with the broadband connection.  If we’re both surfing the net and she opens a website while I’m trying to load one my connection goes damn near to zero speed until her page loads!  I’ve tried modifying the QoS crap and it did nothing to slow it down so I’m looking for answers.

The broadband connection I’ll be getting is 500 down and 250 up.  I want to limit her Dell to what we have now in dialup, which is usually 50kbps and about 5k throughput on a good day. 

I stuck a Pentium 233 box together with128MB of memory and loaded m0n0wall on a 1GB drive and played with it some but I never did see where bandwidth could be controlled on individual computers on my LAN? 

So my question is, can I do this with m0n0wall and if so how?  And please make it simple! <BG>

Thanks!!

Life is hard.  It's even harder if you're stupid!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 20:46:20 »
SteveEast *

This may not be want you want to hear but I think you should wait to see what sort of performance you get with your new broadband connection before you start thinking about bandwidth limiting. After all, you're about to increase your downstream bandwidth by a factor of 10. 500kbps isn't a lot but it should be enough for you and your wife to co-exist happily while surfing. Whereas 50kbps just isn't really enough when the bandwidth is shared.

Not to mention what your wife would say when she saw your PC giving good response and hers behaving like a dog Smiley

Steve.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 23:11:04 »
ken069 *

Thanks for the advice Steve but I pay for the internet service, supply her with a computer to run her web businesses from, pay the electricity to run that computer and I don't see a dime of that money she makes.  If she wants more than the dialup speed I'm going to GIVE her, then she will have to buy it. <g> We're both retired and spend a good bit of time online.  I play games and she runs a couple of website businesses.

On the dialup  we have now, I use Opera for my browser, which shows throughput at the bottom of the page and when both of us are downloading web pages my throughput drops to less than 100 bps whereas normally I'll get between 4 to 7KBPS.  The last thing I want is to have that computer drop the bottom out of that broadband connection that I'll be paying $35 a month for. 

On another note, I got some software called Net Limiter and I installed that on her box the other day.  We use a multilink ppp dialup when I've got updates or large downloads to do.  I tested that software on the double dialup this morning and it will limit that Dell to dialup speed so that may be the simplest way to go on this. 

I'd still like to know how it's done on m0m0wall though.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 17:33:08 »
ken069 *

Hummm, 367 views and only one reply, that didn't offer any help?   Huh  I FEEL THE LOVE?  Wink

Pages: [1]