News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: How to setup up user logins for guests connecting and VPN connectiona?  (Read 2451 times)
« on: May 21, 2008, 03:54:45 »
gfdcxgfd *

Hello guys once again, I am about to implement m0n0wall in a small office area and had a few questions:
How do I setup up a user name and login in for the person wishing to connect to the internet via wireless or hardwired?

I want one generic username and password for around 25+ users to use at the same time.

So for example Username : Tim , Password: Lim

I just give that out to the people who enter the office and they all connect to the internet via that same username and password.

After they enter the username and password I want them to go to an agreement page and then from therer redirect to a specifiv url and then they can go about using the internet. I know how to do this part so no worries. Cheesy

But the username and password thing is the only thing I am lost on, someone please enlighten me. Very appreciative of this people, thanks.

*EDIT*
Oh I also forgot to mention, I will have a few guests in this office who will need to connect through VPN for company usage so how would I be able to make this work as well?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:21:51 by gfdcxgfd »
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 22:26:46 »
knightmb ****

Hello guys once again, I am about to implement m0n0wall in a small office area and had a few questions:
How do I setup up a user name and login in for the person wishing to connect to the internet via wireless or hardwired?
Captive Portal
I want one generic username and password for around 25+ users to use at the same time.

I just give that out to the people who enter the office and they all connect to the internet via that same username and password.

Captive Portal, be sure to leave the "Disable concurrent logins" disabled or else only one person at a time will be able to login.

After they enter the username and password I want them to go to an agreement page and then from therer redirect to a specifiv url and then they can go about using the internet. I know how to do this part so no worries. Cheesy

But the username and password thing is the only thing I am lost on, someone please enlighten me. Very appreciative of this people, thanks.

*EDIT*
Oh I also forgot to mention, I will have a few guests in this office who will need to connect through VPN for company usage so how would I be able to make this work as well?

Captive Portal, one of the options is "Redirection URL" that it sends them to after they authenticate, which can be your agreement page or other info they need to be presented with.

As for the company VPN, if it's always to the "same" place, then you can add that IP address in the "allow" list of Captive Portal that will allow any user to connect to without getting the authentication page.

Radius Service for m0n0wall Captive Portal - http://amaranthinetech.com
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 06:35:21 »
gfdcxgfd *

Thanks for the reply.
I know how to do the redirect URL thing, I just don't know how to do this:

also for the VPN it will be a different IP all the time so any solutions for that?

Thanks for the help once again.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 08:00:12 »
knightmb ****

Thanks for the reply.
I know how to do the redirect URL thing, I just don't know how to do this:

With Captive Portal that will work, you'll just have a big list of users connected with all the same username/password, but you can always back track to IP Address/Machine Name should someone on the network become a problem.
also for the VPN it will be a different IP all the time so any solutions for that?

Thanks for the help once again.
Yeah, that one would be a little tougher. It's not that you have a limit on how many "allowed IP" address to type in, but in this case I imagine you won't know the IP address of "who" they are trying to connect to and without that information, they would have to hit the "login" page first before they could VPN in.

If all of your users have to agree to your terms of use, then the problem may solve itself since the potential VPN user would have to authenticate first (and read or be presented with your service agreement), then they should be able to VPN freely afterwards.

The only issue you will encounter is if two people try to VPN into the same place at the same time. Due to the way m0n0wall handles those VPN sessions, it's only one session per IP address.

Radius Service for m0n0wall Captive Portal - http://amaranthinetech.com

Pages: [1]