News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: STUN Server for m0n0wall  (Read 2010 times)
« on: June 19, 2008, 04:58:42 »
xene *

An option to add a STUN server in the WAN configuration could help to get the real Public IP Number when using m0n0wall behind a router.

Let say, I have m0n0wall connected to my ISP's modem-router, I enable DHCP on the WAN interface for m0n0wall, m0n0wall gets the IP 192.168.0.2, wich is later used as the Public IP number on services like Dynamic DNS and so on.
The best way is to use a STUN server to get the real IP and use it as the WAN IP.

Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 05:29:47 »
ChainSaw

I wouldn't hold my breath for any new features.  Manuel hasn't logged in to this forum in almost 2 weeks and we are going on 2 1/2 months since the last beta release.  Mind you I'm not complaining.  I'm very thankful for all the time and effort Manuel has put into this project.  I can only assume he has other more pressing priorities in his life or is just burnt out on spending time on m0n0wall.

CS...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:38:02 by ChainSaw »
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 18:31:20 »
Manuel Kasper
Administrator

I wouldn't hold my breath for any new features.  Manuel hasn't logged in to this forum in almost 2 weeks and we are going on 2 1/2 months since the last beta release.  Mind you I'm not complaining.  I'm very thankful for all the time and effort Manuel has put into this project.  I can only assume he has other more pressing priorities in his life or is just burnt out on spending time on m0n0wall.

You've guessed right - it's a bit of both. And I've been on vacation for the last two weeks.

My answer to this feature request, at the risk of sounding like a broken record: of course, if anyone provides a patch that adds this to m0n0wall (without doing something silly like doubling the current image size Wink, it will be considered. On the other hand, I'm not sure how I feel about putting a STUN server into m0n0wall, as I think public STUN servers are widely available (unless having your own gives you some specific advantage that I'm not aware of).

Pages: [1]