News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: How to just cap upload on the webserver?  (Read 5063 times)
« on: June 24, 2008, 17:51:19 »
Seb74 ***

I have 2Mb down and 400kb up.
The only traffic shaping I would really benefit from is if I could cap the upload from the webserver, cause if I put out a large file for someone to download my connection totally  dies....I can hardly browse the web as long as the upload is in place.

So, can I make a rule for only the webserver, cap just the upload by pointing it to a pipe capped at 350kbps or so?

Or do I absolutely need to point all my other traffic through pipes/queues too?
Dont want to do that since it seems you must make sure your total up/down of all pipes absolutely not exceed your real up/down-speed, so by playing safe and choosing 10% lower then what you got you loose a lot of speed....and lots of extra pointless work if I only want to affect upload from the server and leave other machines be.

Anyone tried this simple scenario, or are everyone in here making complex rules involving all the LAN's machines?
Thanks Smiley
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 17:53:13 by Seb74 »
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 18:38:18 »
Fred Grayson *****

Have you tried and looked at what the Magic shaper wizard provides?

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 19:00:40 »
Seb74 ***

Have you tried and looked at what the Magic shaper wizard provides?
No, its not plugged in yet, I'm waiting for my switch so just reading handbook and looking at screens here Smiley

I just want to avoid forcing ALL my traffic through pipes, since pipes need to be capped safely below your actual maximum upload/download. I dont want to loose 10% up AND down just cause I want to cap my webservers upload and nothing else.
Wonder if it can be done, enabling Traffic Shaping but having most traffic just flow outside of it, only having a rule for traffic FROM my webserver passing the WAN-interface.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 19:21:00 »
Fred Grayson *****

When using the Wizard, the reduction from specified maximums is handled automatically. This results in pipes that are about 90-95% of your specified maximums.

Something tells me that in order to do any traffic shaping at all, you have to be willing to give up that small amount of your total bandwidth.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 22:44:52 »
Manuel Kasper
Administrator

So, can I make a rule for only the webserver, cap just the upload by pointing it to a pipe capped at 350kbps or so?

Yes, that is really simple. Just create a pipe for 350 kbps, and then a traffic shaper rule that matches outgoing traffic on your WAN interface where the source IP address is your web server (internal/LAN IP address) and the source port is 80 (or whatever you use).

Absolutely not Smiley
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 22:58:00 »
Seb74 ***

Yes, that is really simple. Just create a pipe for 350 kbps, and then a traffic shaper rule that matches outgoing traffic on your WAN interface where the source IP address is your web server (internal/LAN IP address) and the source port is 80 (or whatever you use).

Absolutely not Smiley
Oh, are you sure?
Probably you are...I almost got the impression it wasn't good at all to have traffic outside the rules when TS enabled, but maybe this is an exception since its such a simple rule...just cap outbound traffic from one server and leave all others be.
Thanks Smiley
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 10:04:57 »
Seb74 ***

Seems to work perfectly.
Didn't create any queue or anything, just ONE pipe capped to 360kbps, and then ONE rule checking traffic going in to the interface the webserver resides at, with a source of port 80, to any address except my LAN.

Works like a charm....or so it seems anyway Smiley

EDIT: So this way I dont have to give away 5-10% or so of my bandwidth by creating queues that absolutely aren't allowed to be higher than the actual bandwidth (as I only got 2/0.5 I'm not willing to give any of it up just for fun).
Sure, if I get 100Mb some day I might add more advanced TS, but for now all I really need is to cap fileuploads from my webserver, and that seems to work flawless Smiley
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:43:37 by Seb74 »
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 11:23:42 »
Max2950 ***

Giving up a few kb bandwidth is not just for fun.

TS must take place where you can control the packets. Once packets leave you DSL modem (or whateever) it is to late. If packets get queued at the ISP they get queued in the order they came, no chance for you to change something here.

By giving up a few kb you wont fill the connection up to the max, thus avoiding your ISP the need to shape your trafic.

Pages: [1]