News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: The need for USB on ALIX  (Read 5409 times)
« on: August 05, 2008, 22:12:52 »
Letalis *

Sorry for asking this question but what can you use the 2 USB ports on an Alix board to?
Can you use an external disk or something.

I have been browsing the net a little bit in this matter but haven't found anything about it.

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 23:04:24 »
lgrant98001 *

I'm not sure whether you can use them with M0n0wall, but...

I have an Alix board running the FreeNAS file server, with two USB drives plugged into the USB ports.  It's quiet, low-power, and works wonderfully.   And it's my backup router.  If one of my other three Alix boards running M0n0walls should flake out (which has not happened yet), I'll just replace it with with the one running FreeNAS while I order a new one, and temporarily move the FreeNAS CF card and the drives to a spare PC.

Lynn
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 23:26:33 »
Letalis *

I thought so, that if youre running another OS you would be able to do like you do.

anyone else have any ideas?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 19:20:26 »
lgrant98001 *

According to the release notes for M0n0wall 1.3, it can boot from a USB memory stick.  I'm not sure if this works with the WRAP/ALIX image, but you might give it a try.

I'm also not sure why you would want to do this, but it might be handy if you change releases or configurations often, and don't want to keep opening the case to take the CF card out and re-flash it.

BTW, in case you are not familiar with FreeNAS, it really is the same operating system, just a different application.  FreeNAS runs on FreeBSD, just like M0n0, and its configuration panels are based on the PHP configuration panels from M0n0.  It's very convenient to use, especially if you are used to M0n0.

Be well...

Lynn
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 19:22:37 »
Letalis *

I want to use m0n0wall & Freenas on the same device :-P

I wanted to be able to add an external disk to m0n0wall and share is like in Freenas or something :-P

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 14:13:11 »
Omerik *

Gentlemen goodmorning,

could anybody give me a hint on how o where to start to achieve this please ?

I'm looking to add an External HDD on those USB port on ALIX Board while using m0n0owall.

Thank You in advance to anybody for the help.

There's no a second possibility to make a good first impression.

Euro Buchberger
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 23:17:29 »
Letalis *

I didnt make it work so I put it to rest. :-/
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 23:46:07 »
Omerik *

I believe that ( maybe ) m0n0wall has been developed for something different than being used to drive an externalk HDD.

It is a firewall with some routing capability and strictly related network and safety services.
For this is great and stable, for the rest, I believe is better to have a dedicated suitable hardware & software.

Great m0n0wall !!

There's no a second possibility to make a good first impression.

Euro Buchberger

Pages: [1]