News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: m0n0wall on vmware esxi  (Read 10623 times)
« on: November 08, 2008, 12:38:31 »
dark__ *

hello im trying to setup up m0n0wall on vm box. i have installed monowall and im in the web gui. i have 2 nic (1 for lan 1 for wan). im stuck here what to do. my cabel modem is plugged in to 1 nic and other goes to a switch, than to other devices from there. (see attched diagram). im not getting any ip from the cabel modem so i think i must setup something in the m0n0wall not sure how to do this gald for any help i can get. Smiley

* my_setup.GIF (3.78 KB, 840x525 - viewed 944 times.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:41:03 by dark__ »
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 14:34:21 »
engel.aloisius *

hi dark_,
were you able to solve ir? hving the same problem here ...
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 16:15:59 »
Sailorsknot *

If you had your pc connected directly to the cable modem, you may have to "clone" your MAC address from your PC to m0n0wall box  (WebGUI, Interfaces, WAN, General Configuration).   There's a place to enter the cloned mac address...   Good Luck!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 14:18:38 »
dark__ *

hi dark_,
were you able to solve ir? hving the same problem here ...

no man im stilling looking for away, i tried "ipcop" got it working but i really like monowall and not giving up until i get it working.
ill write a little howto when i get it working, and plz u do the same if u get it working before me.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 21:29:26 »
johner *

I have the same problem, any find an answer?

I have tried cloning the mac, using the one off my router wan port, no luck :-(

I can see the ethernet light flashing on the modem when i release and renew ip in the interfaces diag screen, but neverget an ip. ip6 is disabled but shows an address??

Also passed through the pci device (intel nw card), no difference.

I tried a vm windows machine, no luck either.

works fine plugged back into my crappy dlink router... :-(
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 21:48:30 »
iridris ***

Try plugging a switch in-between your cable modem and the designated WAN port on your VM box?  If this fixes it, try using a crossover cable directly between the VM box and the modem.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 21:35:15 »
Gardalb *

Did you try to turn off the cable modem for 20/30 seconds and turn it back on?
Some cable modems/providers are known to bind to one machine at the time until you reboot them.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 22:28:21 »
johner *

I have the same problem, tried the mac address cloning no luck, will try the switch/cross over cable idea when I get home at the weekend.

Original poster - You have any luck?
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 05:50:44 »
adrianp918 *

i learned that power cycling the modem and m0n0wall will generally fix the issue, being that your isp see's the mac address on your modem generally it doesn't care what is behind that doing the routing, and i know that TW doesn't care what in the world in behind there modem as long as the modem reports the same mac address that they have on file

Pages: [1]