News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Pls help: DHCP leases wont register in DNS  (Read 2407 times)
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:58:38 »
splatterpop *

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with this. I have m0n0wall running as a dhcp server and dsl router in a win XP network, plus a linux server which hosts mail, samba and dns. It is intended that the linux server should operate as the dns server.

My problem is that the DHCP leases are not registered in the DNS, therefore not known to samba which results in network browsing problems.

Your help is very much appreciated...

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 20:05:29 »
ChainSaw

under "Services: DNS forwarder" unckeck both boxes and put the address of your DNS server(s) on the "System: General setup" page.  also, you will need to release and renew any DHCP clients and if you have any static clients use your actual DNS server's IP for DNS not your m0n0wall's LAN address.

CS...
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 16:50:20 »
splatterpop *

Thanks for the input, I did what you suggested, but no luck. It looks like either DHCP does not communicate properly with the DNS, or the DNS does not accept the registrations, although the DCHP log does not show anything suspicious.

Any suggestions? I'm really stuck.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 18:44:57 by splatterpop »
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 18:48:18 »
ChainSaw

On your XP box under "Advance TCP/IP Settings" DNS Tab do you have something like:

* DNS.JPG (53.59 KB, 1440x900 - viewed 306 times.)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:08:30 »
splatterpop *

Hey thanks to everybody. I solved the problem and I just thought I let you know.

1. ACLs did not allow DNS updates for the domain. Since I could not figure out what key is used I had to allow updates from the entire subnet.

2. I had to set up a reverse lookup zone. Browsing the domain did not work properly until every computer had a record here. Same ACLs apply here.

So thats it. Could be my lack of knowledge or a real problem, i really dont know. Thanks again.

Pages: [1]