News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: USB and Cell Phone  (Read 5246 times)
« on: December 09, 2008, 03:58:08 »
fk319 *

I was wondering if m0n0wall would support a cell modem via the usb port
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 10:22:41 »
markb ****

At the moment Monowall doesn't support any modems USB or otherwise. I don't think that it is part of the brief that Monowall is designed to.  On the Mono homepage it states.
"m0n0wall is a project aimed at creating a complete, embedded firewall software package that, when used together with an embedded PC, provides all the important features of commercial firewall boxes (including ease of use) at a fraction of the price (free software)."
Support for modems is not normally found in commercial Firewall routers.  As far as I know it is not part of the plan for Monowall.  There is a project called Smoothwall that does support some modems, although the feature set in the Express (Free) version is not nearly as comprehensive as Monowall, but if you are just looking for a simple home built firewall, have a look at it.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 03:29:59 »
gordongeko *

At least the Drayteks have support for USB cellphone modems. It's mainly handy for those of us that need a redundant link for the times when our regular connection is down.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 01:36:37 »
brushedmoss ****

I haven't tried this with m0n0wall, but sony k800i and k850i act as a usb ethernet, so in theory (practice on my linux workstation and osx laptop) plugging them in gives you a usb interface which when you run dhcp client gets an ip from the 3g network.

the huwaei e220 and e270 usb modems need patches applied to freebsd otherwise you get random disconnects.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 13:23:33 »
undermind *

At the moment Monowall doesn't support any modems USB or otherwise. I don't think that it is part of the brief that Monowall is designed to.  On the Mono homepage it states.
"m0n0wall is a project aimed at creating a complete, embedded firewall software package that, when used together with an embedded PC, provides all the important features of commercial firewall boxes (including ease of use) at a fraction of the price (free software)."
Support for modems is not normally found in commercial Firewall routers....

At one of the routers m0n0all I successfully use the usb DSL modem Accorp 120. Support for 3G modems already become important feature of commercial firewall boxes. DLink router with usb interface receives a new firmware support for 3G modems and WiMax(Yota).

Pages: [1]