News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: m0n0wall dyndns problem  (Read 4441 times)
« on: January 11, 2009, 01:57:58 »
alas_ve *

Hello Everybody,

I'm using m0n0wall 1.3b15 installed on PC Engines ALIX board. Everything works excellent except the dyndns update to DynDNS.org. After my ISP changes the public address, dyndns defaults to 127.0.0.1 for some reason. Then I have to manually disable/enable dyndns to publish the actual public IP to DynDNS.org.

m0n0wall is directly attached to the modem I got from my cable internet provider. Modem is working in bridge mode.

System log does not mention updating the DynDNS after my IP is changed by provider's DHCP service.

I hope that you have some suggestion...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 00:28:26 »
alas_ve *

My problem just might be solved. I changed the Service Type combo in the Services -> Dynamic DNS menu to DynDNS instead of DynDNS(static).

BTW, does anybody knows where is the difference between these tree options: DynDNS, DynDNS (static) and DynDNS (custom)?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 01:31:14 »
Fred Grayson *****

If you have a static IP, you could use DynDNS (static) and the TTL for your A records would be on the order of 4 hours.

If you have a dynamic IP, you should use DynDNS, and the TTL for your A records would be 60 seconds.

DynDNS (custom) would be used if you have your own domain and dyndns.org is handling the DNS for you, as opposed to a subdomain within dyndns.org or its other TLDs where you would use one of the above choices.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:44:35 »
alas_ve *

fredg, thanks for explanation! My IP is dynamic, and settings I used where DynDNS static. Therfore, every time my IP was changed, m0n0 sent 127.0.0.1 as IP to DynDNS service.

Problem solved!  Grin
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 21:56:14 »
Max2950 ***

Hi,

Interesting, my ISP changed from dynamic IP to static i might have to review my DynDns settings....

Pages: [1]