News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Monowall & Single Computer DNS Settings (OpenDNS)  (Read 3202 times)
« on: January 28, 2009, 19:30:51 »
dNide *

First of all I want to mentioned that I'm switching from DD-WRT to the much more stable Monowall, and now I need to be very specific with how I setup everything in Monowall (DD-WRT was a little more forgiving... less secure?).  It's been quite a bit of learning, but it is already starting to show some ROI.

Right now I'm stuck on this problem and have not been able to figure a solution for it.  My WAN is set to a static ip# and I have my ISP provided DNS entries inputed into the General Settings section of Monowall.  I have my Captive Portal turned on and everything was working fine.

When it came for me to setup a single computer on the network to use the OpenDNS DNS servers, I was clueless on how to setup my Monowall to handle this.  What happens right now is that the computer works fine when it auto obtains the DNS entries of the ISP, but not when I manually input the OpenDNS entries.  It will not resolve DNS names when using the OpenDNS servers.

I'm very unfamiliar on how the DNS Forwarding settings works and hope that someone could explain how I can get OpenDNS working on a single computer, without having the rest of the LAN using OpenDNS.

Many thanks in advance.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:05:58 »
markb ****

You will have to put the openDNS server in the DNS settings on the single computer and then add a rule that allows tcp/udp destination port 53 through.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 00:18:54 »
dNide *

Thanks for the info markb, I also found out that I also need to set the computer on a static ip and give it access through the captive portal.

Pages: [1]