News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Is my traffic shaping ok?  (Read 6604 times)
« on: February 27, 2009, 21:51:49 »
mona *

Helo all,

I have bought alix board (3 NIC 265MB ram) and for the first time installed m0n0wall on it. Before I was using DD-WRT on Asus router.

Everything is ok exept I have lot of lag problem with WoW.

I have attached printscreens of my configuration.

Anybody has an idea what is wrong?

Please don"t be shy I don"t bite.

Regards

Boris

* pipes.jpg (10.3 KB, 584x185 - viewed 788 times.)

* queques.jpg (26 KB, 581x355 - viewed 833 times.)

* rules.jpg (38.12 KB, 390x900 - viewed 874 times.)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:18:19 »
Cutha *

Hi,

In the rules I would make the wow stuff (3724) use the High Priority #1 Upload queue and High Priority Download.

Do you find it laggy only when there is other trafic on your LAN or is it always laggy?

Do you know how much bandwidth is required (up/down) for WoW? Your best bet maybe to have a dedicate pipe just for WoW. You could check out the VoIP screencasts for that if you are interested. I have a similar setup to yours except I am running a private WoW server but have yet to figure out how much bandwidth I am going to need for clients on the WAN.

Hope I was some help.

Cutha
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:19:52 »
Cutha *

Forgot to ask how your NAT was setup?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 16:57:45 »
mona *

Thank you for your reply. My NAT settings are inbound connections I forward to machine in my network. Laggy is only when I have other people on network download movies and stuff via torrent.

I will try your sugestions and report back

thank you
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 17:03:42 »
mona *

upload/download needs for WOW are very smal few k up or down by user... so this is not an issue.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 00:49:59 »
Cutha *

Hi Mona,

If I were you I would create dedicated pipes so that the WoW traffic does not get put in a queue at all, this will decrease your latency. However, to do this correctly you need to go through all the steps in the VoIP screencast (minus the mistake), just set it up for your WoW stuff instead of capturing the VoIP traffic.

Regarding WoW bandwidth I found a very detailed article online:

"Figures 2(a) and 2(b) give a snapshot of the down- and uplink bandwidth time series. To plot the bandwidth, we used a bin size of 1sec and no running average. The median downlink bandwidth is 6.9kbit/sec. In uplink we observe less traffic with a median of 2.1kbit/sec. From the figure we also learn that there are some high peaks (≥ 64kbit/sec) in downlink direction. Comparing the traces with a recorded video we can correlate the peaks to scenes with high environment interaction (e.g. many players nearby).'
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:16:10 by Cutha »
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 11:16:24 »
panasonic *

Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.

Cheers!
meilleur taux voiture simulation credit auto pret automobile[/color]Une simulation credit auto instannee et facile ici si vous avez une voituremeilleur taux voiture simulation credit auto pret automobile[/color]

Pages: [1]