News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: 1.3b15 & Dell PowerEdge 750 - Can not find config.xml on boot (1.3b7 boots fine)  (Read 3041 times)
« on: March 04, 2009, 17:22:01 »
Kormac *

Hey all - been using m0n0 on a WRAP at home for years and love the product. So thanks for the amazing piece of software!

At work our Symantec gateway recently died (and having been more than frustrated with it over the years) I've dropped in a desktop running m0n0 as a temporary solution.  We have a spare Dell PowerEdge 750 (which has 4 nics in it, the desktop only has 3 -- we were using 4/5 interfaces on the Symantec box), so I've tried installing m0n0 1.3b15 to the PowerEdge, but it refuses to boot. When it boots I get a cannot find config.xml error.

I've tried the 1.3b7 version that is still on the download page (for people upgrading from 1.2-pc to 1.3-pc), and that version does boot. 1.2 also boots as well.

The internal SATA controller is reported as a Intel 6300ESB SATA 150 Controller via atapci0 (on 1.2 and 1.3).

So, a couple of questions:
1.) Is there a way to download the older beta releases? That way I can pinpoint which version has the change in it that is preventing it from booting on the PowerEdge.

2.) I've researched the error, but everything I've found involves changing the hard drive addressing mode (CHS, LBA, Large, etc.) and CF cards. I'm trying to boot off a SATA hard drive on the internal SATA controller, and the Dell server BIOSes don't expose these sort of options.

3.) Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help track down the cause of the boot failure. (logs, running test versions, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 17:19:48 »
evongugg *

Try disabling everything unnecessary in the bios.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 01:40:23 »
JiveMiguel *

Kormac, did you ever get this fixed? If so, I'm curious what you did to solve the problem.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:45:09 »
jrobgood *

Kormac:

I too have a Symantec Gateway Security appliance and I'm wondering if I can wipe it and install m0n0 on it. I would assume the SGS runs some distro of Linux, although as I type this I'm now thinking it's probably got some custom ROM that would prevent a total teardown and repurposing.

Have you heard of doing anything like that?

Pages: [1]