News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Printserver  (Read 4076 times)
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:00:11 »
Annika669 *

Hello everybody,

I'm new to both m0n0wall and freebsd (or any *nix) so I must admit I don't know very much about the possibility to implement a printserver in conjuncion to m0n0wall, ie on the same machine. I will set up m0n0wall on an old P4, the USB and parallell ports will not be in use which I think is a waste as it would be very convenient skipping an extra (very expensive) box for network printing.

Greetings from Sweden
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:42:01 »
Uluen **

http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/intro-not.html - I think a printserver has nothing to do with a firewall.

Printservers can be tiny, use little power and very cheap.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=printserver&_sacat=See-All-Categories
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 20:27:31 »
TheMole *

A print server would be a good idea. I see some commercial routers with a built-in USB port for a printer connection. I am sure there are a lot of Monowall users who use generic standard PCs that have at least a few USB ports on them. It would be nice to use them.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:05:04 »
gdixon *

If you go over to the FreeNas forum you will see a print server is possible using LPrn and get the idea of how to implement it on mOnOwall but i have to agree, it doesn't really belong on a firewall.

Greg
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 22:48:24 »
echappatte *

A print server would be a good idea. I see some commercial routers with a built-in USB port for a printer connection. I am sure there are a lot of Monowall users who use generic standard PCs that have at least a few USB ports on them. It would be nice to use them.
I think this is not at all in the philosphy of m0n0. I am not a developper, but I think using USB driver, maintain this with the evolution of hardware (a lot of chip are released every year) would result in a bigger m0n0 image, slower boot time and more ressources utilisation...

Pages: [1]