News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: cannot get m0n0wall up  (Read 4131 times)
« on: April 13, 2007, 16:57:59 »
sticcino *

Hi,

I've been using m0n0wall for the past year in the embedded pc version. great product.

i needed to do some testing with a remote warehouse of mine to create a vpn tunnel to my office and was using the CD-Rom method for a quick setup.

but for the love of me, i cannot connect to the box. I've done the auto/manual detection, replaced niocs, used different pc's but cannot get a dhcp address and/ if i assign a static one, i still can't connect with the webgui.

i've also tried different cables, the pc and my test notebook are on a 5 port switch, seperated from my network.

i have a floppy attached to the system, and i've also noticed that the config doesn't get saved as the ip adress keeps going back to 192.168.1.1 , but i get no fd0 errors whatsoever.

i have no idea what i'm doing wrong, any help appreciated

Thanks
Johnny

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 18:09:24 »
sticcino *

hi,

resolved the issue. i was using a USB FDD drive, as the one in the pc wasn't working too well. i replaced the FDD and all is good now.

thanks
Johnny
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 19:21:51 »
Ventolin *

In the future, if you find the webgui isn't saving your settings, don't forget that all of the monowall settings are stored in an easy to edit XML file.  Don't be afraid to open it up in notepad and tinker around, just make sure to keep a backup of the last working version.

Cheers.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 22:32:52 »
max *

I have installed m0n0wall using the CDROM, hard drive, and CF methods.  It boots and displays the console menu with the default IP @ 192.168.1.1 .  I can't ping this address from any of my machines on the network nor can I ping from the m0n0wall machine to the others.  The machine is an old k62/500 with two 3com 905-tx ethernet cards.   My other machines are running windows XP and Fedora Core 6.  What could be the problem?   I have tried this setup on a mini-itx voom pc and get the same thing.  I have even gone through the auto-detection and it seems to find the hardware everytime but still not able to get to the webgui or ping it.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 01:12:45 »
max *

All is good.   It  now works just fine. Not sure why it wasn't working before. 
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 12:42:19 »
bitonw **

you might had the wrong NIC assigned?
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 06:02:10 »
Tralus *

I'm having a simular issue to that of Max. I have Monowall installed on a 32MB flash card (EDI module) and it will get to the console just fine. But I can not ping the machine or get to the webGUI for anything. when I try setting up the nics "auto" it will not work, and I have to do it manually. Could it be an issue with the install or any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Sean
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 16:39:55 »
Tralus *

nevermind - got it.

Pages: [1]