News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Just to clarify: can the cdrom iso version use a usb drive/jump-drive etc. ?  (Read 4351 times)
« on: April 13, 2007, 20:58:22 »
ineloquucius *

Is it possible to operate as with the floppy, but use a jump-drive (or whatever your preferred name is for sd/memstick/etc) instead?

Another way to say that is, I'd like to go diskless altogether, except of course for the cdrom.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 21:44:31 »
cmb *****

Edit: This was added in 1.3x, previous versions do not allow this.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 23:39:10 by cmb »
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 21:52:53 »
ineloquucius *

I've booted on the cd with a working sd card in a jump drive.  The "Lexan" shows up during the boot process, but when I set the LAN IP and interfaces and restart it comes back with the defaults.  Maybe there's some particular way of formatting the sd card?

This would be an excellent way to do a small-medium sized business FW, as it would be extremely reliable, duplicatable, etc...  As the documentation indicates, floppies are very volatile media.  Hdd's seem like serious overkill given the tiny footprint.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 23:15:52 »
cmb *****

Should just need to be FAT formatted AFAIK.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 22:49:16 »
ineloquucius *

It worked great in 1.3b2.  But 1.23 doesn't even look for it.  In fact, it appears from the code that that is exactly the case.  The code seems to look for and mount a floppy.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 23:34:31 »
cmb *****

It was a recently added feature, 1.3 may be the first version it appeared in. I don't recall offhand.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 22:47:26 »
ineloquucius *

I believe 1.3x is the first, yes.

A spectacular feature, incidentally.  My clients are beginning to show signs of energy consciousness (it always takes a flood to get people to buy flood insurance), and this means even baby-AT motherboards are running at very low consumption.

As you know, I had some issues with initial setup.  But so far, in test production, this is a surprisingly good firewall, and I've worked on some pretty-damned expensive ones.  The rule layout and logic in general shows a truly professional understanding (even if it's not professional) of firewalling.   Lot's of power; very little obscurity...unlike some IP police I know.

Wish the developers could profit from it.

Pages: [1]