News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Poll
Question: Bandwidth usage tracking feature request
yes - 2 (66.7%)
no - 1 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]
Topic: Bandwidth usage tracking  (Read 5359 times)
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:13:43 »
n_novak *

Hi,
I would like to request a feature.  I'm a home user on a bandwidth limited internet connection and I'm probably not alone.  I usually run up against my monthly limit and don't find out until it's too late.  I would love a bandwidth usage counter that could be configured to reset on a monthly basis corresponding to my internet billing cycle. 

I thank the authors of monowall, I have gotten much use out of it.  I'm new to this forum and posting things to forums in general so I hope my request reaches the correct people and is someday answered.

Kind regards,
     Nick Novak.

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:44:44 »
nayr *

enable snmp and use any number of utilities to track and tally your bandwidth usage remotely. MRTG and/or RRD work well, I am sure windows has plenty of commercial GUI's capable of SNMP monitoring routers, its pretty much the standard way of business but can be kinda complicated for home-use.

this kinda tracking is kinda beyond the idea of m0n0, bandwidth tracking & logging requires local disk space and regular writes... plus while only a month's stats may be sufficent for you, I got daily/weekly/monthly/yearly stats polled every 5mins going back nearly a decade, its not the job of my router to do this level of logging.

Another good option is port-mirroring, ethernet hub, or ethernet-tap going to an interface w/ntop listing on it.. its a passive listing device that can give you all kinds of real-time network information without interfering w/throughput trying to process it all. Also makes a good place to stick some IDS monitors to detect hack attempts. However this is even more complicated of a setup for home use, (hint: http://ossim.net )

Pages: [1]