News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: IpV6 over IPSEC VPN  (Read 5656 times)
« on: April 15, 2009, 00:05:37 »
SnAzBaZ *

Hi,

There may be another way of configuring this, in which case, please let me know!

Both my home and work PC's have native IPV6, and a VPN between two m0n0walls. My home PC is part of my Active Directory domain, and uses DNS servers on the other end of the VPN where possible. Because of this, I get AAAA records in my lookups, which Vista tries to use first, then falls back to using IPV4, because the IPV6 names do not go across the VPN.

So, is there anyway I can configure m0n0wall to send IPV6 traffic across the VPN ?

Thanks

Andrew
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 02:33:48 »
brushedmoss ****

right now (b16) vpn support is limited to ipv4.

you do have working ipv4 path between work and home, so you could try setup a 6 in 4 tunnel between your home client vista and a work server, but this sounds like a good long piece of work
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 18:47:48 »
iridris ***

Are there any updates on this?  I'd like to be able to either set up an IPv6 IPSec VPN, or route IPv6 traffic over the existing IPv4 VPN.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 17:26:27 »
brushedmoss ****

This appears not to be possible in freebsd 6.4 as we are using fast_ipsec which allows hardware acceleration.  fast_ipsec in 6.4 doesn't support ipv6, so we will have to wait until we move to freebsd8.

In theory we could do an ipv4 tunnel that is encrypted using tunnel interfaces that use ipv4 as the endpoints, but also have ipv6 configure, but I think there is too much work for a poor solution.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 17:02:23 »
iridris ***

The current trunk is based on freebsd8 correct?  I think waiting on that would be the ideal solution as opposed to hacking something together on the current platform.  How far out is a freebsd8-based monowall? 6 months? 1 year? more?

Pages: [1]