News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: PPTP VPN and Microsoft client--how to make only VPN subnet go out PPTP tunnel?  (Read 2657 times)
« on: April 16, 2007, 05:22:02 »
airzonk *

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty impressed with m0n0wall... I've gotten both IPSEC tunnels and the PPTP VPN working.

Question though... is there any way I can set either m0n0wall or Windows networking's client so that only connections to my subnet at my workplace (192.168.100.x) go through the PPTP tunnel and everything else go out my cable modem regularly? (Or wherever I am connecting from).

In other words, if I am connecting to a corporate machine from home, of course I want that to go through the VPN connection but if I type www.google.com in my browser, can I have that go out from my local IP and not all the way to work and then out from there?

I am using XP pro or home edition and Microsoft's built in client depending on where I am connecting from.

Thanks,
Gabe
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 06:59:33 »
Zenar *

The windows client can be configured to use either the VPN's Gateway, or your own. 

First, go to the Properties button on the connect page. Then select the Networking Tab and find the 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' Item. In the Properties of TCP/IP, there is an 'Advanced' button.  The first thing you will see is that it uses the remote gateway as the 'default'. Uncheck this, and save everything back to the login page. 

This will fix your problem of having to use the VPN's internet connection while still allowing the Virtual Networking to work.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 08:57:28 »
homegrown *

The windows client can be configured to use either the VPN's Gateway, or your own. 

First, go to the Properties button on the connect page. Then select the Networking Tab and find the 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' Item. In the Properties of TCP/IP, there is an 'Advanced' button.  The first thing you will see is that it uses the remote gateway as the 'default'. Uncheck this, and save everything back to the login page. 

This will fix your problem of having to use the VPN's internet connection while still allowing the Virtual Networking to work.

Wink

Pages: [1]