News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Block P2P?  (Read 7108 times)
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:43:49 »
pacini *

Hi,
Been trying almost everything out there to block P2P with no luck, I've installed a new box with m0n0 on it recently, ready to go. How do I completely block P2P? I tried TS with no luck so far, any ideas?

Much appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:22:54 »
markb ****

This has come up several times before on here and unfortunately there is not really a simple answer.  Because P2P software can use a variety of different ports including 80 it is nearly impossible to stop a P2P client from getting out.  You are better off trying to stop the software being installed if you are able.  The next best thing might be to try openDNS this has parental controls and can block the access to the seeding sites effectively blocking P2P and file sharing.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 13:24:03 »
pacini *

Hey markb,
You are right, but I thought this is what L7 is for? .. Even if I can slow down the traffic will be enough, but it never works! .. I'm running a WISP and get over 8Mil sessions everyday with P2P that I cannot block :/ ... Thought M0n0 could help me out.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 19:09:11 »
Lee Sharp *****

YOu can not block it, but you can shape it so that it impacts others less.  Look into "Share Bandwidth Evenly On the LAN." and giving some port high priority.

Pages: [1]