News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: How to load m0n0wall onto a WatchGuard Firebox x500, x700, x1000, x2500  (Read 16357 times)
« on: May 06, 2009, 21:38:56 »
mppkll *

This document is also on the Tools/resources page as a pdf with pictures

CAUTION!   The power supply in the Firebox x series is exposed when the firebox cover is removed.  DO NOT apply AC power to the firebox while the cover is off or you will be in risk of electrical shock!  Make sure to remove the AC power cord and wait for 30 min before opening the firebox to give the capacitors time to drain!

Warning!   This procedure will void your warranty and remove the Fireware or Fireware Pro OS from your firebox!  WatchGuard will not help your restore your system!  Proceed at your own risk!

1.   Items needed:
2.   Open the firebox.
  • Remove the drive tray by lifting the flap on the right side of the firebox front, unclip the 2 grey plastic pieces under the cover and pull them forward.  Pull the drive tray out of the firebox.
  • Remove the 15 black Philips screws from the firebox.  The sides may or may not have a rack mount ear.  There are 6 screws on each side and 3 on the back.  The 8 longer screws go to the 4 holes on each side that are close to the front of the firebox and mount the rack ears.
  • Remove the cover by pushing it toward the back of the firebox.  It should slide back about 2 inches, and then you can lift the cover up and off.
  • Remove the IDE44 cable from the back of the drive holder. Then remove the 4 silver screws holding the drive holder in place.  You can then pull back on the drive holder and lift it out.
3.   Flash the CF card.
  • One you have the drive holder removed you should see a 64mb CF card in a holder located at the rear of the firebox under where the drive holder was.
  • Cut the “warranty voiding” sticker to allow the CF card to be removed.
  • There is no ejector for the CF card so remove the CF card by applying slight pressure on the top of the card with your fingers and pull it toward the front of the firebox.
  • Extract the Physdiskwrite.exe and PhysGUI.exe files to a known directory (i.e. c:\PhysDisk).
  • Place the m0n0wall image file into the same directory.
  • Insert the CF card into the card reader on your pc and start phyGUI, highlight the CORRECT drive.  Pay extra special attention to the drive size and interface!  If you select the wrong drive you could wipe out your PC’s HDD!
  • Right click on the highlighted line and select “Image laden” and then “Öffnen”
  • A file dialog will open, path to the m0n0wall image file and click open.
  • You will get a warning message, DO NOT CHECK the “Remove 2GB restriction” box just click the OK button.  This is here as an attempt to keep you from writing to your PC’s HDD by mistake, unless you check that box you shouldn’t be able to write to drives bigger then 2GB and since the CF card is 64MB that’s fine.
  • You will get another warning. Click “YES”
  • You should see a command window for a few second counting up as data is written to the CF card.
  • When you get the “PhysDiskWrrite beendet.” Message  your CF card is ready.
  • Replace the CF into the firebox. 
  • Replace the drive holder and reconnect the IDE44 cable (optional)
  • Replace the firebox cover
  • Replace the drive tray (optional)
4.   Set up m0n0wall
  • Connect power to the firebox and turn it on.
  • Connect the grey serial cable that came with the firebox to the firebox console port and your PC’s serial port.
  • Start your terminal emulator and select the COM port that the firebox is connected to, use 19200baud 8/n/1 communication settings.
  • Press enter and you should see the m0n0wall console screen.
  • When asked to set up the vlan select n and enter, you can set up vlans using the web interface once your systems ports are configured.
  • When asked to name the WAN port use re0 (this corresponds to the 0 port on the firebox that is labeled as “External”
  • Use re1 for the LAN port, re2 for OPT1, re3 for OPT2, etc.
  • Reboot the m0n0wall (it’s no longer a firebox!)
  • Connect a cat5 cable to the port labeled “1” on the front of the m0n0wall and to a network hub/switch or you can use a crossover cable to connect directly to a PC.
  • On a PC connected to the same network hub or connected to the m0n0wall use a web browser to go to the address shown on the console screen (default is 192.168.1.1) by typing http://191.168.1.1 into the address bar of the browser.
  • Enter “admin” as the user and “mono” as the password when prompted.  If you see the m0n0wall screen your all set!  Use the information provided at http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/ to finish your configuration.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 21:45:26 by mppkll »
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 04:27:13 »
hallm *

I've tried this on a working Watchguard X500 and it doesn't work.  I'm using Generic-1.3, but have also tried 1.236.  The Watchguard comes on lights up display for a few seconds then goes away.  Power and Arm/Disarm lights are one.  Nothing on console and none of the interfaces pulls DHCP.  Are there jumpers or additional settings.  Also, does the Firebox only read certain filesystems.  I removed the partitions that were on there and used both the linux commands to copy the image and the physgui from Windows to write the images. 

As far as the console, all I get are special characters, etc.

Am I missing something.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 05:22:26 »
hallm *

FYI, I got into the console.  The settings on my X500 are 9600/8/n/1 .  Once I consoled in with that, I was able to change the interface adapter id's to match the watchguard.  It is apparently working fine except I got one re1 watchguard timeout.  Is that something to worry about?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 07:32:14 »
bombcar *

I have a similar issue, but I don't have the original Watchguard Serial Cable™. Will a normal null modem cable work?

Mine ends with:

Code:
*** This is m0n0wall, version 1.3
    built on Mon Nov 30 20:18:21 CET 2009 for generic-pc
    Copyright (C) 2002-2009 by Manuel Kasper. All rights reserved.
    Visit http://m0n0.ch/wall for updates.

LAN IP address: 192.168.1.1

Port configuration:

LAN   -> sis0
    WAN   -> sis1

m0n0wall console setup
1) Interfaces: assign network ports
2) Set up LAN IP address
3) Reset webGUI password
4) Reset to factory defaults
5) Reboot system
6) Ping host

Enter a number:

but I cannot type. I suspect my cable is not a true null modem. I don't seem to be able to find DHCP on any interface. This is with 9600/8/N/1 on an x700.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:34:50 »
bombcar *

Oh my amazing goodness!

All I had to do was turn off hardware flow control!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 23:37:36 »
bombcar *

I've been having some problems with watchdog timeouts; I know the RealTek 8139C+ is a crappy card, but I'm hoping it'll work well enough.

I turned on polling on the Advanced menu; maybe that will help.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:23:52 »
hlouie *

I just got a Watchguard Firebox x500 on eBay.

The instructions are very simple to convert a buggy box to a solid performer.  I’ve removed the VPN encryption card for the mini-PCI slot and would like to install a Wi-Fi card.  Additionally the CPU is running a 53db, just crazy loud and would like to change out the CPU fan.

Questions 1, has anyone tried?
What Wi-Fi mini-PCI card will work with this box?
(Atheros AR5008, 802.11b/g/draft n)
(Atheros AR5212A, 802.11a/b/g)
(Atheros AR5213A, 802.11a/b/g + Super AG)

Question 2, what CPU fan that will fit in a low profile 1U box reduce the noise?

UPDATE 2010-FEB-23
Driller 3 - 1/4" to attach the wireless antenna = metal is very hard
Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG = NO
Low profile copper cooler 23mm fan and heatsink = 23db

UPDATE 2010-MAR-10
AR5212 Wireless = YES
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:28:56 by hlouie »
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 03:13:24 »
carbonad *

Will these instructions apply to a x750e?
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 05:25:43 »
xtdanno *

i've had some issues with my firebox  right now my console is displaying

¸µèáqë8óðüòøóüôññðûuæpÁìÎpøyúº}òàpé¹ðù?qäáús|íñ}üõõúÿâéÀxÿóqx¹àôðòóõüuöüÚqýàxóûòÇÿå}óõuøstá8ÁñðññnøðpyðõóõáóÿûåÁûøóñ:àø`åý}àûqôãÿùãúûðøûÙÃ_xù|ãõpóìáýûñûðóñùðààýóõñðáõËðøñùE`zàųõ¸ôsûäáËóÿðùøûà¸ëÖòôå8õxú¸ðüáûùûópöôûÿòqò{ñýqûötñ{Ûíÿúzãúqý×¹þ:8~e<ùÝ<þüøYôü¾pÿ¸wúöûÚÿ)¡!9ÿÿ)ÿNõÿÖõÿ)ÿ&øÿÿÿ0ýÿC1
U¥²)!¥À1)½)18ö­ý8ÎS=ÙÐæ4)©«ù

firebox x1000 512 mb ram 256 mb CF card. 1.2 ghz processor.

curently my putty session is saved at
com2/9600/8/1/n/n and keyboard is ESC|n~

now if' i have the wrong settings i need to know i'm new to m0n0wall and need some help please

Pages: [1]