News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Acces web-server from inside Lan {Dns forwarder question}  (Read 4011 times)
« on: May 23, 2009, 17:07:49 »
warden *

I have a web server using apache set up behind Monowall {which i love and have been using it for more than 1 year}. The Web server has access through the captive portal, ports needed for it to work are forwarded and everything works super .
On the web server i host multiple domains and i use EveryDns static Dns services .{couldn't get Bind to work Tongue }

My question is this : How can i make the web pages i host on the server accessible from inside the Lan ?

They work just fine when i access them from the internet , but when i access them from inside the Lan i get a 'Failed to connect' error.

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 02:38:10 »
Fabbe *

To be able to access pages from your internal network you need to make a DNS Forwarder.

Click DNS forwarder in your Monowall and then activate DNS Forwarder and then add add a entry..

For example i have this one for my linuxtoday.mine.nu adress:

Host   Domain                   IP              Description
moon linuxtoday.mine.nu 10.0.1.100 HTTP on Moon

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 21:09:19 »
warden *

Problem solved ....kinda .
Thank you for the suggestion Fabbe.
 i added :

www     episode-online.com     192.168.0.32      on the Dns forwarder in monowall

I did that but for some reason on some stations it did work on some it didn't . However
I found a way to make the web pages accessible from the LAN : I edited the Host file on the server {under XP it found in widows_folder\system32\drivers\etc
under linux is /var } and added the folowing lines :

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.0.32   episode-online.com
192.168.0.32  seriale.alese.ro

where 192.168.0.32 is the LAN IP of the Web server {that is behind monowall} and episode-online.com and seriale.alese.ro are some of the domains in question.
after doing this i was able to access the pages using the server itself and on some machines {mostly Mac's using safari as a browser but some xp machines using chrome} some of the domains started to work others didn't .
 i always flushed the DNS records after any changes so that was not the problem. {using ipconfig /flushdns}

To have a permanent solution i edited the Host file on every machine in the Lan that needed to access the web pages adding the same thing i added on the web server.
Now everything works fine ! This is definitely not a permanent solution but it gets the job done .

If someone has another idea or if i'm missing something please feel free to post a reply .
Thanks again Fabble ... dono witch one of the 'fixes' did the trick but by doing all of them everything works.
Cheerio !
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 21:26:40 »
Uluen **

To have a permanent solution i edited the Host file on every machine in the Lan that needed to access the web pages adding the same thing i added on the web server.
If all machines on your LAN use the m0n0wall DNS, all machines should work if you configured the DNS entry properly.

Did you reboot and/or /ipconfig release/renew?

Editing host files is kinda what the DNS service is supposed to free you from Wink

Pages: [1]