News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: LCDproc working on m0n0wall  (Read 14854 times)
« on: May 31, 2009, 17:31:33 »
kjake *

Hi all, I have a Firebox X500 and was using pfSense, but had some issues with it and felt it was a little unstable.  So I switched back to m0n0wall after realizing that m0n0wall supports more than 3 interfaces now (I swear it only supported 3 in the past?).

So I grabbed the original LCDproc script that someone put together on the pfSense forums and it works just peachy on the m0n0wall.  The only downside is that you'll have to reupload and start it if you reboot...but I would think that if more drivers were added to this that it could be easily added to the main image, or I would be willing to fire up a FreeBSD VM to modify the generic-pc image to include LCDproc.

Instructions:

1) Download http://kjake.net/lcdd.tar
2) Goto http://[m0n0wall.IP]/exec.php
3) Upload lcdd.tar
4) Run cd /tmp; tar -xvf /tmp/lcdd.tar; ls -alp /tmp/
    This should list the lcdd.tar file and the directory that has now been extracted
5) Run /tmp/lcdd/lcdd.sh
    The LCD should now light up and start displaying stats

You can run "ps ax" to see a process list to verify that LCDd and lcdproc are running.

Optional:

If you want to set the stats displayed on the LCD (instead of using the defaults), untar the archive on your desktop after downloading it and edit the lcdd.sh script.  You'll want to change the lcdproc command.  Defaults are C, M, and S.

Here are the options:
Code:
    C CPU               detailed CPU usage
    P SMP-CPU           CPU usage overview (one line per CPU)
    G CPUGraph          CPU usage histogram
    L Load              load histogram
    M Memory            memory & swap usage
    S ProcSize          biggest processes size
    D Disk              filling level of mounted file systems
    I Iface             network interface usage
    B Battery           battery status
    T TimeDate          time & date information
    O OldTime           old time screen
    U Uptime            uptime screen
    K BigClock          big clock
    N MiniClock         minimal clock
    A About             credits page

Most of all, I don't really want to take credit for this.  All I did was edit a few files so it would run from /tmp and provide instructions.

All credit should go to ridnhard19 on the pfSense forums.
http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,7920.0.html

[edit]
I forgot to mention that the Firebox driver doesn't display network interface stats or the CPU histogram, but it is better than having a LCD go unused.  Uptime, CPU stats, Memory, Time all work.  I think LCDproc was designed for a 4 row LCD, where the Firebox has only 2 rows.  So, the author of this driver needs to modify it to compensate.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 00:07:01 by kjake »
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 06:30:52 »
mppkll *

Outstanding!  I was looking for something like this!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 17:34:03 »
Max2950 ***

Great ! Thank you !

The LCD on the firefbox is hooked to an internal LPT port is that correct ?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 22:35:31 »
bombcar *

Cheesy

Just installed this on my converted x500 and it seems to work great.

Here are some keywords to help Google find this thread. Making the LCD work on a WatchGuard x1000 m0n0wall router. Loading a controller for the LCD worked great!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 13:53:39 »
digital-cipher *

Just converted my first Watchguard X700 to m0n0wall

This LCD fix worked a treat for me, is there away to install/load these files so they run at startup automatically.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 01:02:59 »
bombcar *

You'd have to modify the image; there are details on how to do that somewhere in the forum.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 17:59:54 »
ianconscious *

Hi guys,  I'd really appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of, or take the time to provide simple instructions on how to insert the lcdproc package into the image file so that it starts up automatically.

I've recently discovered m0n0wall and am so pleased I can finally utilise the full hardware capacity of the Watchguard box without having to pay ridiculous licensing fees.

Great forum btw!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 23:50:21 »
phillip1983 **

many thanks for this post ... this is bloody awsome ..... i love my X700 now, m0n0wall and firebox x700 with LCD ..... match made in heaven .... i bloody love it ....!!!!!!! Smiley Smiley
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 13:29:55 »
hmeister *

Kudos! - I figured this could be done - I had pfSense running on x700.
Stevew was also a contributor on the pfSense forum for this script...
If you run a CF can you write to the drive if you change to RW?
And does the script stay on reboot?
I will test this tonight but who has the script??
The original post is 2009 - Anyone got the file??

Thank you again for these instructions and editing profiles....!!! Smiley

H
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:54:50 by hmeister »
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 04:12:38 »
lotec25 *

any updates on this script? i have not been able to find this been looking for a few days.

Thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 14:23:03 »
helios *

Anyone uses this that can share the scripts? The version I have doesn't seem to work.
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 04:48:49 »
m4f1050 *

Can someone please post a link to the file?  It is no longer available for download.

Also if there is a newer version more compatible with the FB WG X500 please let me know, thanks!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 17:20:29 »
kormsbee *

any updates to this?  I have a x500 and would like the LCD to work

::EDIT::  I got it to work.  I read the scripts and placed the files where the scripts wanted them after opening the image with workon.sh   I then edited my rc.initial and included the lcdd.sh in it just before the menu is drawn.  Now when my x500 boots i get the LCDProc running, I know that its booted. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 15:51:49 by kormsbee »
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 14:38:38 »
kormsbee *

I got it to work.  I read the scripts and placed the files where the scripts wanted them after opening the
 image with workon.sh   I then edited my rc.initial and included the lcdd.sh in it just before the menu is drawn.  Now when my x500 boots i get the LCDProc running, I know that its booted.

Pages: [1]