News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: DNS and SAMBA - possible?  (Read 3965 times)
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:52:36 »
splatterpop *

Hi Folks

I know this has been asked before, but I will ask again.

I am running a small business office with a local windows domain (BIND and SAMBA running on a vmware machine on the file server). Would it be possible to relocate these services to the WRAP router? The reson behind this is, I want to shut down as many severs overnight as possible, but atm I lose many basic services when I do so, because the PDC is being shutdown along with everyting else.

Cheers,
splatterpop
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:08:26 »
oelki *

no, m0n0wall is a firewall and not a DNS and Samba server
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 09:27:04 »
Uluen **

m0n0wall does DNS, but Samba..?  Shocked
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 14:24:22 »
splatterpop *

@oelki yes everybody knows that. It is also a DHCP, web, VPN, ... server. Being based on free BSD I believe it should also be possible to implment the other two.

@uluen afaik m0n0 does not have a DNS server, only a dns forwarder.

Any other suggestions? Perhaps Manuel could comment on this?

Cheers
splatterpop
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 16:15:44 »
oelki *

In general you can add services as you like. But, does it make sense to add more server functionality to a firewall?
In my opinion a firewall is not the right place. Less services will result in a more stable and secure firewall.

Setup of a second WRAP/ALIX machine would add 5 W to your total power consumption...
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 18:32:29 »
Lee Sharp *****

In m0n0wall, the filesystem in mounted in a somewhat unique way, and so adding SAMBA would be a major change to the architecture.  This change would adversely effect other users, especially embedded, and use a lot more power in general.  You can try pfsense, but a better solution would be a cheap and low power NAS box.

Pages: [1]