News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Help me figure out Source/Dest/ports (usenet download)  (Read 2065 times)
« on: July 30, 2009, 19:11:05 »
svenjohan *

Hello,

I'm trying to set up some traffic shaping. One of the things I want to give really low weight to is usenet downloads. I've set up my usenet client so it uses port 563 (ssl).

When I first went in to the traffic shaper settings it was obvious to me, set these things and it should work. But the more I think of this the more complicated it gets.

To try to sum up my thoughts: I know which port my client will connect to on the server, I don't know which ip the server will be. I could tie this rule to a specific host on my LAN but would prefer not to.

Trying to form my thoughts on this into actual words makes my head hurt but I'll try: Should I set the destination port for the download rule to 563? After all that is the only thing I know about the connection. It cant be known which port will be used on my client for the actual transfer, but then again, what does "destination" actually mean in the traffic shaper? Does it mean the destination of the connection that results in this incoming packet, or the actual packet containing the requested data from the server? I hope you catch my drift here, if not say so and I'll try again Smiley.

Maybe I could formulate myself thusly: Can I use the firewall state table as a basis for my rules, and if so, the traffic shaper ought only to meddle with connections made after it has been set up, not existing ones, right? Which would actually explain why nothing of what I've tried seems to have made any difference..

Sorry about all this confused rambling..

Pages: [1]