News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: PING / Traceroute in 1.3b18 sendto: Invalid argument  (Read 6759 times)
« on: August 17, 2009, 18:32:16 »
bassreflex *

Just updated to the latest beta and every time I try to use ping or traceroute from any interface to any ip I get the following:

ping: sendto: Invalid argument

traceroute: sendto: Invalid argument

Forgive me if it could have been something I changed and is not a bug, but i've tried multiple different things and it looks like a syntax error?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 20:22:12 »
Manuel Kasper
Administrator

Works fine for me on 1.3b18 (ping/traceroute from LAN or WAN). Do you have a special configuration (e.g. using optional interfaces, bridging, PPPoE, IPv6)?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 22:13:22 »
bassreflex *

I've tried from LAN, WAN, DMZ (opt1).    Nothing special.  I just setup OPT1 and assigned it to an interface.  I'll try rebooting it again or something to see if it resolves it.  I have no bridging, ipv6, or PPPoE.   I do have PPTP vpn's but that is all.

If it helps I am running the generic-pc build.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 22:17:25 »
bassreflex *

Edited out... updated post at end of thread.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 05:14:43 by bassreflex »
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 22:23:45 »
bassreflex *

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 05:14:56 by bassreflex »
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 23:21:19 »
bassreflex *

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 05:15:23 by bassreflex »
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 02:13:09 »
bassreflex *

The issue has changed and the reason the ping command isnt working is because of this new issue now that i've properly researched it.

Whenever I change something on the route tab or update the advanced setup page at all lan and opt1 die and I have to manually reboot my box.  This is pretty bizarre.

It appears that when the lan and opt1 die off PPTP vpn still works (the server is 192.168.1.254 and my client has 1.192 as the IP) but anything physically plugged into the adapters does not.

I lose all connectivity and cannot ping the interfaces (even from computers).  So its not so much an error with the ping command.  It is an error where my interfaces stop working and I wasnt aware because PTPP and WAN work fine when this happens.... kind of weird because my PTPP IP's are in the LAN subnet range.  So you would assume PPTP wouldnt work since the LAN interface is one of the ones that seems to die.

Afterwards the only thing I can do is reboot it to get functionality to the physical interfaces.

I was running 1.2 and 1.3b17 and none of these issues started happening until upgrading to b18.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 05:22:39 by bassreflex »
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 17:29:16 »
bassreflex *

Downgraded to b17 and am still having the same issue.   I also downgraded to the latest stable and it is still happening.  So not sure what would cause this but its pretty annoying.  Obviously it is something with my config in some way shape or form.

Any clue what would cause this?  Its specifically when I edit things in the route table or advanced page.

Update:
Now on 1.235 when I change rules for the firewall or update the advanced info page I get a message that shows up saying:

Invalid interface name in rule 3

Update:
Manually put the below URL in my browser and it appears it was from the IPSEC rule tab that was leftover from the config from when I had b17 and b18 installed.  I changed this to a diff interface and saved and now it has stopped with the invalid interface error.

http://192.168.1.1/firewall_rules_edit.php?id=3

This also seemed to fix the other error with editing things on the advanced page and the static route page.

So....  Not really sure what could of happened in the beta.  I am guessing maybe turning on ipsec and turning it off could of possibly done something at that stage but honestly not for sure.

At this point im mostly using my iphone to connect so I am just going to use PPTP and probably stay at the stable version.  Hopefully this info i've put is usefull for something.  If not i guess just move it to bogus.

Thanks for monowall its a great produce and im loving it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 17:58:56 by bassreflex »

Pages: [1]