News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Disk Read Error on Installation  (Read 4301 times)
« on: September 11, 2009, 22:16:30 »
leyshon *

Help! What am I doing wrong.

I am trying to install the generic-pc-1.235.iso image on a computer hard drive.

The computer has been running windows XP and boots up normally. When I try to overwrite XP with the monowall image, the computer start to boot up then gives a disk read error.

I have tried installing monowall with physdiskwrite, with Darn Small Linux, I have tried wiping the disk with various wiping programs and installing again and always get the same result - read error

I have tried installing DSL on the hard drive. Boots OK. Overwrite this with the monowall image using DSL from the CD - same result.

Monowall boots OK on this computer from a live disk but I want to get it on the hard drive. What do I try next? Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 23:42:46 »
Fred Grayson *****

The iso image is not meant to be installed to a hard drive. It is meant to be burned onto a CD ROM.

Use the correct image file if you want it on a hard drive, ie generic-pc-1.235.img

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 00:10:52 »
leyshon *

My apologies. I misled you.

Typing too fast. I meant to say that I am using the image file - generic-pc.1.235.img - not the iso file.

So thanks for the advice but because the question was wrong, the answer didn't help.

So back to the real question, Why can't I boot after installing the image file onto a computer that was running XP. It is not the disk because I now have 3 computers all doing the same thing!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 01:22:21 »
Fred Grayson *****

Have you verified the MD5 or SHA hash of the image you downloaded? Wouldn't be the first time a bad image was being used.

Beyond that I don't have any more ideas.

--
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 18:50:52 »
leyshon *

Hi

I have used several different downloads, especially when using the Darn Small Linux technique which requires a new download each time.

It appears to be a boot problem. I get an Intel boot first which then results in a disk read error. I believe there is a hidden boot partition that Microsoft puts on the disk. How do I get rid of that.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 19:11:48 »
Fred Grayson *****

Use fdisk to examine the disk for any partitions you suspect are interfering and delete them. But I don't think you'll find anything there - physdiskwrite should have wiped the whole disk clean when it wrote the image.

--
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 09:34:17 »
dreamslacker *

If you see an Intel Boot Rom loading, you might have onboard chipset RAID or AHCI enabled.
Be sure to set the onboard chipset to Legacy/ IDE mode rather than RAID/ AHCI mode before trying to boot from the disk.

Pages: [1]