News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Captive Portal + Radius server  (Read 4422 times)
« on: October 06, 2009, 18:43:24 »
jeanrenier *

Dear,

I am installing Monowall as a captive portal for sharing a common internet access of a small apartment building.  Monowall is great and has most of the functions, but since I need to enforce a fair split of the monthly download capacity, I will need to organise a minimal Radius server (though I don’t yet know which one yet, any suggestions ?). 
It would help me to understand the format of the Radius messages (I read the RFC 2865/2866), especially which precise Radius attributes are used by Monowall for the authentication, the one minute re-authentication and the accounting messages (are they also send every minute ?).  Also, if the same port can be used for authentication and accounting. 
Can some of you point me to the right descriptions, I tried the source code of the Captive Portal part but it is quite elaborated and I am not at all familiar with the language (it looks like C).

Has anyone implemented such set up already ? (reading many topics of the forum does not make me wiser).

Many thanks,
jeanrenier
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 15:39:33 »
knightmb ****

Dear,

I am installing Monowall as a captive portal for sharing a common internet access of a small apartment building.  Monowall is great and has most of the functions, but since I need to enforce a fair split of the monthly download capacity, I will need to organise a minimal Radius server (though I don’t yet know which one yet, any suggestions ?). 
It would help me to understand the format of the Radius messages (I read the RFC 2865/2866), especially which precise Radius attributes are used by Monowall for the authentication, the one minute re-authentication and the accounting messages (are they also send every minute ?).  Also, if the same port can be used for authentication and accounting. 
Can some of you point me to the right descriptions, I tried the source code of the Captive Portal part but it is quite elaborated and I am not at all familiar with the language (it looks like C).

Has anyone implemented such set up already ? (reading many topics of the forum does not make me wiser).

Many thanks,
jeanrenier

Are you using a static IP for your Internet connection? If you wanted to save time and get things working right away; I'm working on a m0n0wall specific radius service that does exactly that. E-mail me (my e-mail link works here I think) and I'll share more details.

Radius Service for m0n0wall Captive Portal - http://amaranthinetech.com

Pages: [1]