News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: - WLAN, WebGUI and bootlog bugs in m0n0wall v1.3b18  (Read 2340 times)
« on: October 22, 2009, 22:36:54 »
TRON

Hello!

I'd like to address the following problems found when testing the latest m0n0wall (v1.3b18) version.

1) Setting up interface Opt1 (WLAN) causes a WebGUI timeout. When clicking "Save" the CPU meter (opened in another browser tab) goes up to 100% and two seconds later the system stops to respond (crash/hang). After a restart (hardware reset) all changes made to the Opt1 (WLAN) interface are visible and active though. In other words the Opt1 interface setup works but worries me. I think the system should stay stable and respond with a message as usual.

2) My m0n0wall WebGUI is accessible via DNS resolution (NAT rule + firewall rule in m0n0wall to forward DNS queries from a WAN client to m0n0walls LAN interface). When entering "monowallname.mydomain.tld" it resolves nicely but only woks for a while (other DNS resolutions are not affected). The WebGUI stops to respond after a few minutes and from then on accessing the WebGUI only works by entering the IP manually (not mentioned /etc/hosts, but that's not the point!). I want to access the WebGUI with "monowallname.mydomain.tld" all the time though. I haven't yet had even an idea what may cause this strange behavior. What I also noticed is that some of the names entered in the DNS forwarder section of m0n0wall don't resolve sporadicly.

3) My boot log shows 3 resource assignment errors for some UNKNOWN devices. Can someone check this please? I attached a file which includes my configuration. Nevertheless I think that issue is harmless.

4) I cannot find the SIP Proxy as described in 4.5.8. SIP Proxy (http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/config-services.html). There's also no SIP section in logs (diag_logs.php). Can someone tell me whether it's unavailable in 1.3 beta?

5) DynDNS setup in m0n0wall only provides a DynDNS server update with the current WAN IP address. In case the WAN lies within a local net ITSELF the DynDNS updater would propagate a "LAN IP" which is quite useless! Right?

6) Further I want to mention that there is no such alias like "WAN subnet" or "WAN net". I had to create one myself called "WAN-subnet". I also do not understand what the hard coded alias "WAN address" refers to.

7) One important thing is the way m0n0wall handles reboots/shutdowns. In case someone installed m0n0wall using a physical RAID-array with activated caching on the controller, switching the machine of by removing power could lead to serious data corruption! I think the m0n0wall manual is wrong at that point. It is mandatory to safely shut down BSD and unmount everything. Besides an ordinary "Are you sure you want to shutdown the system?"-question I also recommend to include a "Do you want to save everything and reboot/shutdown the system?"-question in m0n0walls reboot.php. It happened more than once to me that I needed to go back to pages again to save everything.

I hope someone can answer me at least one of these questions. Thanks in advance! ;-)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 23:29:05 by TRON »

Pages: [1]