News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: IE7 / Vista / Captive Portal problem...  (Read 7994 times)
« on: April 19, 2007, 18:33:31 »
pk *

I help run a small WISP and we use the Captive Portal.  Lately we have run into issues with MS Internet Explorer 7 on Vista.  After logging into the Captive Portal, the redirect does not work.  A error message pops up saying the page could not be found.

If we install Firefox on the same computer, it works just fine.

Has anyone else ran into this problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 21:15:44 »
satlizard26 *

Hi

Do you a custom portal page...? We havent experience any problems with IE 7 / Vista. I use the captive portal with a freeradius server very exstensively with my custom portal page,even with the a css style sheet.

Maybe there is something in the code of your html portal page...! What I do have noticed is that if you did a DNS override in the DNS forwarder, and the DNS server is not availible for that specified domain, it takes forever to logon even click the continue button twice/three time it only then logs on.

Correcting the DNS stuff fixed my problem...!

Cheers

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 03:40:33 »
pk *

Yes, we have a custom portal page.  I don't think it's the code on the portal page though.  After pressing the login button, I see the RADIUS get the request and OK it.  In the browser I see the redirect URL.  Where it hangs is going from the redirect to the original web page.

I also have DNS overrides for Paypal and a few other sites.  I'll check out the DNS to see if that's holding up MSIE7.

In our tests, IE6 works as well as Firefox.   Also Firefox on Vista works fine.  It's only two customers that have this problem, but we have tried everything we know to figure out the problem.  Nothing seems to work except for telling the customer to use Firefox.  We lost one because they wanted to use IE.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 19:55:02 »
pcarsrule *

Has anyone been able to quantify this problem?  I have not been able to have the redirect page work with IE7, all works fine with firefox and IE6 but not IE7.  Does anyone know what the problem is?  Is it a security setting within IE7?

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 04:10:54 »
svanggaard *

This is an MTU problem. Try a lower MTU setting on WAN and Captive portal interface - and please let me know if you find a better solution.

BR
/Søren
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 23:23:05 »
nyktovus *

umm.. how do you set this on any other interface aside from the WAN.. thats the only place i can find to lower the MTU

nyk
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 17:19:14 »
Max2950 ***

I have a similar problem here. I have a custom portal page with images a some flash. Using Firefox the page loads without any problem. But IE7 under Vista does not load all images. Sometimes images are loaded sometimes not.........

I'm using m0n0 1.3b9.....
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 21:26:06 »
cmb *****

I very much doubt if this is MTU related since it works fine with everything but IE7 and Vista.

Maybe this is related to security settings in IE7? Does the same thing happen with IE7 on XP?
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 09:55:52 »
Max2950 ***

I finally found a workaround :
I hosted the pictures on an external site and allowed connection to this site to go throught the captive portable without authentification.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 16:16:24 »
busybody *

I have the same problem, IE7 works fine on xp. I have vista users that used the portal fine up until a couple of weeks ago when i upgraded the firmware from 1.231 to 1.233. After that the vista users had the hanging problem on redirect through the portal. They show as logged in on the web admin side but just hang. They have ie7 so i rolled back to the 1.231 but they are still the same. A number of MS updates were released at the same time of the upgrade which makes me believe that it may be a security setting which may have changed. I just want these vista users to work again.
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 14:49:42 »
MOSteve *

I don't really understand why, but what fixed this for me was to remove the $PORTAL_ACTION$ on my form definition.  So my form statement in my CP html now reads simply:

<form method="post" action="">

I tested over and over and this seems to be rock solid for me.  Had the exact symptoms you described before blanking out the action.

good luck,
      -Steve

I have the same problem, IE7 works fine on xp. I have vista users that used the portal fine up until a couple of weeks ago when i upgraded the firmware from 1.231 to 1.233. After that the vista users had the hanging problem on redirect through the portal. They show as logged in on the web admin side but just hang. They have ie7 so i rolled back to the 1.231 but they are still the same. A number of MS updates were released at the same time of the upgrade which makes me believe that it may be a security setting which may have changed. I just want these vista users to work again.

Pages: [1]