News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: VoIP-Support for M0n0wall  (Read 4188 times)
« on: April 20, 2007, 13:33:50 »
rMarkus *

Hello,

since today most of new internet connections are bundled with Voice over IP this is a big thema not only for the future.

VoIP doesn't like NAT and so you need to do some tricky portforward with guessing of the port number on m0n0wall. With the right portforward the VoIP won't function 100% at all time, because of 24 hour disconnect of the internet provider etc. .
To solve this probleme you need to use the VoIP-box also as router und the m0n0wall get workless.

In professional situations, there are also more and more the need of route VoIP-traffic over NAT.

A simple solution for this problem is the integration of SIPROXD (http://siproxd.sourceforge.net/) in m0n0wall.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 16:19:22 »
tivolimeister *

Vote!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 17:52:29 »
idel *

I wholeheartedly agree.  I have a couple of VoIP services, since my office gives me an extension that I can use in my Asterisk server.   Having m0n0wall be VoIP-aware would make things much easier.

To make things better, integration with traffic shaper to prioritize VoIP traffic above all else would be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 12:13:33 »
Max2950 ***

Vote !
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 23:45:46 »
dph19 *

This one is getting my Vote to, hope really this is coming, m0nowall is the best firewall i have been tested, and i have been tested out clarkconnect, smoothwall and some others, but this one is very good
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 10:37:45 »
Max2950 ***

I'd still vote for it. But for now my LinkSys PAP VoIP device works fine with just one port forwarding. Additionaly, i set up the corresponding firewall rule to only accept connection from my VoIP provider. but i heard of some VoIP devices not handling NAT correctly. For those devices a VoIP application level gateway would be great.
Moreover SIP ALGs tend to be more and more common in consumer grade routers (e.g.: D-Link DGL4100/4300)........ Since m0n0wall tends to be one step ahead consumer grade routers ........... Grin

Pages: [1]