News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: m0n0wall kills compact flash card ?  (Read 3702 times)
« on: April 24, 2007, 16:12:59 »
fanis *

Hi all.
I'm new to all this and i have a simple question. I heard that CF cards have limited number of write cycles. Since i'm thinking to replace the hard disk with a CF card i want to know if m0n0wall will kill my flash card with millions of writes in a short period of time.

Thank you in advance 
Fanis
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 16:27:30 »
HairyMonster *

m0n0 only writes when you make a configuration change or firmware upgrade: Once you're set up, it will take you a very long time to get to the write-limit!!

If you make 1 change per day, and the CF has a write cycle of 100000 times, then it'll take at least 240 years to get there.

HM.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 23:38:03 »
dixzzie *

Last time I bought pretty cheap and good quality  256MB CF type I card from SanDisk it is said to be able of 300 000 cycles of writing. So I think it is good enough to handle changes in configuration for a long time. Few years ago quality of CF cards was much worse than today and many people used them in digital cameras for taking pictures and erasing. The lifetime in such way of use was about 6 years, so what are we talking about if it is only used in m0n0wall, where  configuration is changed from time to time.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 19:28:55 »
Ventolin *

Fanis - you mentioned millions of writes...
when monowall boots, it copies itself to RAM and the booting media is *only* writen to *if* a config change is made.

You have nothing to worry about from the sound of it.

Pages: [1]