News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: A good beginners walkthrough?  (Read 5539 times)
« on: April 24, 2007, 18:23:40 »
LGBR *

Hello fellow users,

I'm a young IT guy at a small company in Ohio, and I'm extremely interested in using monowall as a part of our network here. The machine I plan on using is running FreeBSD 4.10. I attempted to install 6.2 on the machine, but it didn't want to install. For about two weeks I fought with it before deciding to reinstall 4.10 - which took 5 minutes and worked flawlessly. However, I was then informed of monowalls existance and how it seemingly fits our every need and desire.

The problem being, I'm not proficient with FreeBSD at all. Nor am I a linux or unix user. I'm trained on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP. I'm a little lost as to how to properly install monowall.

The machine I'm wanting to install it on is currently NOT hooked up to the network and therefore cannot auto-configure during the console setup. Basically, I'm looking for a walkthrough for someone with little experience with BSD. I've found myself a bit confused with the installation handbook and instructions on the website.

Thanks in advance,
Jas S.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 05:29:40 »
clarknova ***

First off, which method will you be using? CD-ROM or CF/HDD? I'm assuming you're using one of the generic pc methods since you're coming from a full BSD install.

If you're not sure, the former requires that your router have a working cdrom drive and floppy drive. The latter requires only a hard drive OR compact flash card with cf-ide adapter.

Once you've decided, you can download the appropriate image. Let us know and we'll help you interpret the parts of the install guide that you're having trouble with.

If anything you read here or on m0n0's main site doesn't make sense to you, just ask for clarification on those specific points.

db
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 13:34:29 »
bitonw **

what you can do is first install some NIC's in that box, min 2. then download the Generic PC CD-Rom image and burn it on a CD. boot that box with this CD and a clean DOS FORMATED floppy (those things from the past  Wink ) in the drive. now check if all is working. if you do this you change nothing on the box and if you remove the CD and boot again the box is back as it was. well it might have some more NIC's as before.

if you are happy and all is working fine and want to install m0n0wall on the hard disk then download the Generic PC hard disk image. boot that box with a knoppix cd. once booted you can use knoppix to install the Generic PC hard disk image on that box. BEAR IN MIND that you will delete every thing on you target hard disk...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 14:35:06 »
LGBR *

Thanks for the help, guys!

So far I have the machine booted off the CD onto the "Console" where it's giving me numeric options for setting up ports, rebooting, etc. I have a blank floppy in the drive ready to go as well. The part that really confused me was installing it onto the hard drive and making it bootable.

The machine was originally a firewall to begin with, so it does have two NIC's ready to go.

Right now I'm sitting at the console with my floppy ready and I have no idea how to make it bootable off the hard drive instead of the CD-Rom.

- Jas S.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 14:49:44 »
bitonw **

well since you are a windos guru take the hard disk out of that box and temp install it in a windos box as secondary disk (slave) or primary disk (master) on the second ide controller. if you have done this read here http://doc.m0n0.ch/quickstartpc/ how to continue. on the dowlload page http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads.php and download  physdiskwrite 0.5.1 and generic-pc-1.231.img. use physdiskwrite to write the image on you firewall disk. that's it.

basically it's no more than download the image and write it on the hard disk in your windos box and build it back in your firewall box. BECAREFULL WHEN WRITING THAT YOU CHOOSE THE CORRECT DISK otherwise you will loose your windos install...

one more point, make sure that you correctly place the jumper on your hard disk when moving it around and make it master or slave.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 14:52:03 by bitonw »
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 16:32:03 »
LGBR *

Bitonw,

You are my new hero!

My new m0n0wall box is up and running and I couldn't be happier! Thanks a million!

- Jas S.

Pages: [1]